used winch okay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > used winch okay?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

used winch okay?

Would it be okay to buy a used winch, or do you recommend against it?

If it would be okay to buy a used winch under the proper set of circumstances, then would criteria do you suggest when evaluating whether or not to buy a particular used winch (i.e. things to look for and/or avoid)?

hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with buying a used winch.
You can get a heck of a deal on some.
I would make sure you can buy parts for it though.
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at used winches, but between unrealistic seller expectations vs. the discounts and rebates available on new winches, and the lifetime warranty that Warn grants to the original purchaser, I ended up getting a new one.
If I was buying used I would look for a high end winch and look into learning to rebuild/refinish it.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
bullchuck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

when i prchased my used warn 9000i, i looked at three things;

#1 dose it have power in and out?
#2 dose the lever ingauge and disengauge easy or hard ?
#3 overall looks

If somebody wants to sell it bad enough they will show you that it runs. if they donot then buyer beware.

If the lever turns with out to much force , you should be good to go.IFyou have to use to much force or it dose not move at all , it needs some work inside.

If it is all rusted and beat up it might not be worth the time and money to fix up.

I am shure there are other things to look for , but this helped me to get a good used winch.

Thanks Mark
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I bought my M8000 new, bought my 9000i used, but I knew the original owner, knew the winch was only on his truck less than two years and that he'd only used it once. That, coupled with the fact that he was willing to trade it for basically $300 in ammunition was a clincher for me.

My old man bought a used M8274 when I was in junior high (early '80s) and he's still got it, had to rebuild it maybe 8 years ago, but it's been on four different trucks he's had and still works.

I'd probably not mess with a used chinese winch, unless someone was gonna 100 dollar it and it looked to be in real good shape...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
Would it be okay to buy a used winch, or do you recommend against it?

If it would be okay to buy a used winch under the proper set of circumstances, then would criteria do you suggest when evaluating whether or not to buy a particular used winch (i.e. things to look for and/or avoid)?
I'd buy a used Warn or Ramsey but I wouldn't touch a used Smittybilt, Harbor Freight Tools, or other Chinese winch. I'd only test it first by connecting it to a battery and seeing if it works.

If it doesn't work but it clicks, odds are it just has a bad solenoid which is very easily replaced with an aftermarket solenoid. A non-working winch is often a huge bargain since few people know enough about them to be able to fix what is usually an easy problem.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.