Ultimate larger off road, bad weather, survival vehicle? Please help me pick. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Ultimate larger off road, bad weather, survival vehicle? Please help me pick.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
kip42

Ultimate larger off road, bad weather, survival vehicle? Please help me pick.

I am looking for a primary vehicle or a secondary vehicle. I am leaning more towards a truck as a second vehicle b.c it will allow me to get a Dodge Challenger in two years. I dont know where to begin so maybe someone with more experiance could help me organize my options.

Hummer h1 would be sweet but trying to figure out what it does that other vehicles cant. Not interested in the H2/ h3 just possibly the H1 wagon.

I want the vehicle to be safe as the largest problem I see is crashing in bad weather conditions. I would like to be able to walk away from a bad crash. The vehicle has to have a huge fuel tank to give me some sweet distance. A newer vehicle would have to have amazing differentials. Otherwise, an older vehicle would need lockers.

Seems like the new Dodge 2500 power wagon is perfect except the side crash rating on it is terrible.

I want the truck to be very off road capable in mud, trails, deep snow, rain/ flooded areas etc.

Like the dodge ram hemis b.c they are fast, affordable, and sound good with an exhaust system.

I tested an 03 chevy s100 4wd with decent tires and it did not go through anything that I wanted it to. With that said I want something that could go through insanely deep snow, mud, etc.

I will use this vehicle for bad weather driving, weekend fun, hunting, camping and in the event of a diaster such as hurricane Katrina.

Deuce and half- Cheap insurance, fun to drive,

Cons- Slow, big, draws alot of attention. And my GF wont ever ride in one...

M35A3- Would be the one I would go with out of the two b.c it comes the way I want it out of the box.

M35A2 Ugly but is multi fuel and will haul me and all my friends where ever I want.

I rulled the jeep wrangler out b.c I want to move at least 7 people or have room to camp in it. Unless the wrangler does something special that no other vehicle does it has to be rulled out.

Excursion

Would be perfect but gas mileage is like that of a Deuce and half.

F350, F250, or 1995 F150. Expensive and would make me sad if i scratched it.

Jeep Commander 5.7 hemi AWD fully loaded. I love this vehicle! It has a 5 star safety rating and has a good weight to it so it crashes well. My issue with it is that its not as big as the others and im 6'3. I like leg room.

2007 Chevy suburban, Escalade ESV, Yukon XL. Most likly would go with the suburban.

Honestly im leaning towards a 1980's chevy suburban with lockers, winch, huge bumper, and 37's. Can take all my friends, drive through anything and is basic enough to fix without tons of computers.

Are there any vehicles I should look into that im not noticing?

kip42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
conceitedjake
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive driven M35's and 5 tons for hours at a time and while I will never say they are bad vehicles it sucks driving them for hours on end.
conceitedjake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

<<<<<<< I want to move at least 7 people or have room to camp in it. >>>>>>>

Have you given thought to a used full-size 4x4 van? Lots of seating and cargo room, can come in 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton ratings, and if you can find a Ford with a diesel you got good fuel economy. Also make excellent tow rigs with a short rear-axle overhang. I've seen some nice rigs I wouldn't mind owning.
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

jeep FSJs? like wagoneer, old cherokees and j series pickups. seems you have your mind set on pick ups but you did post this in a jeep forum. wagoneers and cherokees are like old broncos but better, and j-pickups are some of the best out there. most wagoneers came with power steering power brakes, cruise and A/C as standard equipment.

it seems to me that you are looking at SUVs in general for a vehicle so i guess you should start looking for what you can get a deal on and go with that
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think you described this vehicle...
If you got the scratch, which it sounds like you do!

Gallery GXV #81 | Global Expedition Vehicles

or these are nice...
FOR SALE: Earthroamer XV LT '05 - Expedition Portal Forum

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 with service body and camper
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a short yellow school bus and convert it to 4WD.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
It's been done.

Picture this

with 200 gallon LPG tank, 4.6L stroker 6, AW4, NV241 OR (4:1 low range) 12:00/20 Michelin XYLs (42" tall) Dana 70 rear and Dana 60 front (have a Ford D44 HD right now) with 5.13s.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Get a bobbed deuce. Its the armageddon vehicle. Locked rockwells, 40's, parts are cheap and available, it will do anything you want it to.

100Dollarman - Trucks!
2004 4.0L w/242 WJ - Front tow points, Rear D Shackel, 3"/2.5" lift, 245/75 Falken ATs, Sway Bar delete, Overland Sliders, T-Case Skid, Hella 500's, Halved Bumper, Custom Rad.Core Skid, Soft 8's, MV50 OBA, Hi-lift/lift mate, shovel, (1st)On-Board Cooler, OME S.S., Rola Basket.....more soon
Blkdvll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Excursion with the 7.3L diesel IMO... mileage wouldn't be downright terrible considering you could carry everyone you need and still tow something heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Excursion with the 7.3L diesel IMO... mileage wouldn't be downright terrible considering you could carry everyone you need and still tow something heavy.
X2. Or an F250/F350 diesel.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
agree, or F350 with the diesel
Unread 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
rquinn02011983
1998 TJ Wrangler 

+1 above
rquinn02011983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
<<<<<<< I want to move at least 7 people or have room to camp in it. >>>>>>>

Have you given thought to a used full-size 4x4 van? Lots of seating and cargo room, can come in 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton ratings, and if you can find a Ford with a diesel you got good fuel economy. Also make excellent tow rigs with a short rear-axle overhang. I've seen some nice rigs I wouldn't mind owning.

I would go with this.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
I have seen one of these on Catalina Island.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

The 7.3 dosen't have a good track record in cold climates . I know of several welding rigs on the pipeline with this mill IMO not the best choice lots of lost time .............. Just sayin'
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.