Tying flat tow straps. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tying flat tow straps.

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Tying flat tow straps.

OK so I know its a really bad idea. But things happen on the trail, and sometimes straps break.

Is there any kind of procedure to temporarily repairing them? Or just knot them together and pray nobody else gets stuck?

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No tow strap should ever break. If you use a 3" or 4" polyester strap you cannot break it with a Jeep. Throw your 2" straps and ropes away and buy two 4" yellow poly straps looped at both ends and two 3/4" D shackles and you will never have to consider this question.

If you must tie a 2" strap, be sure that you have tied a square knot. If you have no shackle, then tie a slip knot with the loose end. Then throw it away when the task is done.
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The reason Im asking is that I have one that broke......(not from strain but from catching a sharp corner and ripping.)

Just wondered if there actually was a way to continue using one that had been damaged in an emergency situation.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
No tow strap should ever break. If you use a 3" or 4" polyester strap you cannot break it with a Jeep. Throw your 2" straps and ropes away and buy two 4" yellow poly straps looped at both ends and two 3/4" D shackles and you will never have to consider this question.

If you must tie a 2" strap, be sure that you have tied a square knot. If you have no shackle, then tie a slip knot with the loose end. Then throw it away when the task is done.
Square knot? I was under impression there were much better knots for joining two ropes - e.g. fisherman's knot, sheet bend. Although can't really imagine tying any of them in a recovery strap.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
The reason Im asking is that I have one that broke......(not from strain but from catching a sharp corner and ripping.)

Just wondered if there actually was a way to continue using one that had been damaged in an emergency situation.
Throw it away and buy a new one.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Permanent splicing of a tow strap is not possible. I suggested a square knot because it is harmless enough for an emergency on the trail. And most people can pull it off if they know the difference. There are indeed knots that will not come apart. Buy a copy of Chapman's Piloting ($5 on Half.com) if you want to learn some. The knots are on page 200 or so.

Still, I agree with myself and others - throw it away.
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Use your buddy's strap. If everyone carries one it wouldn't be an issue if one tore.

Also, tow straps should not be used for recovery purposes, broken or otherwise.

A tied TOW strap would probably be okay for TOWING in a pinch but only on the trail and depending on the condition of what was being towed.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
Use your buddy's strap. If everyone carries one it wouldn't be an issue if one tore.

Also, tow straps should not be used for recovery purposes, broken or otherwise.

A tied TOW strap would probably be okay for TOWING in a pinch but only on the trail and depending on the condition of what was being towed.
And to clear this up...
Tow straps do not stretch. Recovery/snatch straps have a little elasticity.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cut the loops on the torn strap and toss it the garbage. Before you buy another one, have a look at the recovery gear link in my signature so you know what KIND of strap to get. They are not all created equal.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.