Tuffy Security Console Lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tuffy Security Console Lock

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Heywoz

Tuffy Security Console Lock

I have a Tuffy Security Center Console for the Wrangler JK. I locked it last night with a bunch of valuable stuff in it, and now it won't unlock. The key won't turn a complete 180degrees and unlock. If I force the key, it will finish spinning the 180degrees, but it won't unlock, it's like the mocking mechanism just spin's without actually unlocking.

I'm 99% sure that there isn't anything behind the lock. The lock locked without a problem last night.

I called tuffy and they suggested drilling out the lock.

I would like to avoid drilling the lock out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Heywoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

Drilling it is the only way I can think of
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If there was another method besides drilling, that would mean the Tuffy isn't all that secure... but it is. My bet is the lock nut or something close by wasn't tightened properly or something has popped up from inside the console to block it. I had three different Tuffy products in my last TJ and none ever gave me any locking/unlocking problems unless something I had placed inside of one of the boxes had moved into the way.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

You do have to drill it.
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would give the cylinder a couple taps with a small hammer and try again. Maybe some lubricant. Don't beat the thing to death but just enough to move things around hopefully. Maybe it's just gummed up? I mean, if you're going to ruin the cylinder with a drill you might as well exhaust any other options you have.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
I would give the cylinder a couple taps with a small hammer and try again. Maybe some lubricant. Don't beat the thing to death but just enough to move things around hopefully. Maybe it's just gummed up? I mean, if you're going to ruin the cylinder with a drill you might as well exhaust any other options you have.
You can try whatever you want but having gone thru this, you have to drill it out. It's not the locknut. If the whole cylinder is turning it's probably the screw that secures the tab that flips over and locks. If that tab's come off it has nothing to stop it from just spinning. Tuffy will send you a new lock for about $25.00 and they will tell you the trick to open it once you've drilled out the lock. It will not just open up after you drill it, which is another benefit of the Tuffy products. With the lock drilled out, it's still not easy to open.
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try a locksmith?
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Try a locksmith?
That would cost more than getting a new lock.
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
KevinR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you think that something may have shifted and blocked the lock, take the Jeep for a ride off-road to jostle things around a bit. Worst case scenario, you still have to drill it out, but you got to go off-roading
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.