Trails in Georgia - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Jarnld
2006 WK 

Trails in Georgia

Gooooood morning folks

So here's the deal. I've googled and googled and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Hoping you can help out.

I've got three days off this upcoming weekend and have no kids and I'm in need of an outing to stay sane! I bust my butt, but I don't have the money for fancy gear and lifts etc etc. Right now I'm just running my stock WK. I want a trail. Not to go "off roading", but just something through the mountains where the scenery is incredible and off the beaten path so to speak. Just me, my load out gear and my shepherd Bailey. Just to clear my head, you know?

So here's the question..... Where do you/would you go in north Georgia? Im willing to drive to NC, SC, TN... maybe about two hours give or take. I just need to get out and experience something in nature. Hike a bit and ride some trails.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think Windrock in Oliver Springs TN is one of the best wheeling/camping spots nearby.

Here is the link:

http://www.windrockpark.com/

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #3 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Jarnld
2006 WK 

Thanks so much... Not too far either!

post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 07:46 AM
danielatc4w

I got the place for you. Do you fish or anything? Check out Earls Ford Rd that leads to the Chattooga river. Below is the directions from Clayton, GA

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Clay...7!2d34.8989793

Once you turn down Earls Ford Road you keep going. You will cross a creek over a small bridge (Warwoman creek) and the road turns to gravel. You will notice some primitive campsites line the creek. These camp sites are nice but you need to keep on going down the road. You dont need 4wd unless you stray off on one of the side trails. Stay on the main road. You will come to a pretty big River Crossing. This is still Warwoman creek but its pretty wide at the crossing. If you have a lift , 4WD you should be OK to cross it. It looks pretty intimidating at first but the bottom is river rock and if you stay close to the huge rocks in the center of the river you will be fine.

At this point you want 4WD. After you cross the creek the road gets pretty rutted out. About 400 yards past the creek crossing the road ends on the banks of the Chattooga River at Earls Ford. Theres 3 or 4 campsites right there on the river. If your jeep is pimp enough you can drive up a steep bank and pull right up to some of the best camp sites on the entire river. Theres a great fishing hole here and you are bound to see some Kayakers as well as people on Horseback crossing the river.

Here is a video of the Warwoman river crossing. The water level is pretty low in this video and I would expect it to be a bit higher right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vir54Mm_vlw

Also take note you are in the wilderness on the GA side. If you have an emergency you can cross the river (on foot) at Earls Ford and be in South Carolina. The trail up on the South Carolina side is 1/4 of a mile. Once you get to the trail head the road on the SC side turns paved in about a mile and you have houses and people that live along the road (for emergency phone access etc)

There is also another place nearby also off of Warwoman Rd in GA called Overflow Creek Road. As of two weeks ago the road was closed due to erosion/wash-out tho. Not sure if the feds have fixed it yet or not. This road will put you WAY out in the wilderness. Has multiple rivers/creeks and numerous logging trails. Extremely remote tho.

Please respect the rivers. Haul out what you take in etc. Common Sense stuff. The FEDS have been closing access to local places around here because people come in, camp for a week and leave all their trash behind. As a local I cant stand it because my family has been going to these places all of our lives, cleaning up trash etc just to have DNR,FFS close them down because of a few *******es. =-)
post #5 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 PM
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Theres a place here in Chattanooga called Prentice Cooper State park. Its free to go to...has places for primitive camping...trails to both hike on and drive on. Some of the hiking trails are to the Indian rock house Natural bridge and snoopers rock. The only drawback to this area are the closings. It is closed for managed hunts through out the year so go to the website and check it out. May not work for this weekend but maybe a future visit.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 AM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you heard of Beasley Knob in Blairsville, GA? It's run by the Forest Service. I've wheeled there more times than I can count. Not very extensive but great for a weekend. They close from December to the end of March. If it rains a lot they will close the trails. Great for primitive camping and having a good time.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/conf/...a/?recid=10533

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Jarnld
2006 WK 

I do fish! And I've heard of Beasley knob,but I was under the impression it was an extremely tough off road area? Do they have a place for stock jeeps? Thanks to everyone who has responded! I think these will keep me busy for at least a little while
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Jarnld
2006 WK 

The chatooga area looks great!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnld View Post
I do fish! And I've heard of Beasley knob,but I was under the impression it was an extremely tough off road area? Do they have a place for stock jeeps? Thanks to everyone who has responded! I think these will keep me busy for at least a little while
There is a map at the trail entrance that can show you level of difficulty. Just don't go on the hard ones and you should be fine. If it rains or has rained there in the last couple days don't bother.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.