Tow hook bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tow hook bolts

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-11-2001, 11:44 AM   #1
jmsjeep

Tow hook bolts

I just put on tow hooks on the front which used exsisting holes in frame. The hooks came with bolts that did not have either grade 5 or 8 markings. Shouldn't they be?

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
JR

I don't know anything about the grades but I have the hooks that go onto the fron bumper. they are rated for 10,000lbs and let me tell you I have been pulled out of many the mud hole and they have held up with no problem. I have taken them off from time to time just to make sure there straight and there has been no problems.

just my 0.02
Unread 05-11-2001, 12:09 PM   #3
cjjody

If the bolts really bug you, it's probably good insurance to head to the local hardware store, shell out an extra $4 for some grade 5 bolts. Stay away from the grade 8 for the tow hooks, they are too brittle for stuff like this. The grade 5 will give a little when you start yanking stuck Toyota's out-o-the-mud.
cjjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2001, 09:33 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ya, I agree .. I just replaced my bolts on my front tow-hooks with some new ones .. cost a couple bux and I got Grade-5 strength .. it might bend, but rarely break. Grade-8 is very strong, but it will break before it bends.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2001, 11:40 AM   #5
-D-

What's the exact size on those bolts that mount into the thread holes on a '95 YJ? I think it's 7/16" x 2 3/4" SAE thread but I can't be sure. Also I checked both auto and hardware stores around the area and couldn't find the above size in grade 8, anywhere else I can get them from?
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2001, 11:28 PM   #6
-D-

Nevermind my last post, I found out that I have been an idiot the whole time. I took the first bolt out of the package and assumed that since it didn't fit the rest wouldn't either. It turns out that the Steelhorse Tow Hook kit comes with 2 sets of bolts and nuts for various differnt rigs, one set fits into YJ model Jeeps. I installed them today and they look great.
-D-
Unread 07-02-2001, 03:29 AM   #7
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Steel Horse!?! Every thing that I have seen from that company is junk, except for a few soft tops
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2001, 02:05 PM   #8
-D-

Well, I said they look great, no mention of their um.. performance (haven't had a need or a chance to use them). How would I go about testing if they were good or not? I don't have 10k lb of drag to pull around. They were the only brand of tow hooks that the local 4WD store had for YJ's.
Unread 07-02-2001, 04:05 PM   #9
jmsjeep

Mine are also steel horse, ARE THEY SAFE?
I've pulled some trees with them, but haven't pulled vehicle yet.

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2001, 10:41 AM   #10
Angell

I wouldn't worry about things like tow-hooks made by Steel Horse. It's kinda hard to mess up a tow-hook. It's a hunk of metal, ya' know?
Angell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2001, 11:43 PM   #11
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Angell:
I wouldn't worry about things like tow-hooks made by Steel Horse. It's kinda hard to mess up a tow-hook. It's a hunk of metal, ya' know?
You've obviously never seen a tow hook fail. I've seen one bent almost straight. I dunno what brand it was, and I don't know if Steal Whores is worth a damn. But me, I wouldn't touch anything from Steal Whores.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2001, 07:26 PM   #12
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

A buddy used the stock tow-hooks on his TJ and not only bent the hook straight but 1/2 twisted it out as well. Mind you .. he was trying to drag a 3/4ton Chevy that was buried in mud runnin' on 40" tires .. but still .. one hook bent out.

I picked up some generic 10,000lb hooks from a farm supply store here in Calgary (Princess Auto) .. as strong as could be and cheap like borcht.

I also have heard both good and bad about Steel Horse ... stress products don't seem to standup, but the non-high-stress products are good.

Currently I have their GrabHandles and rearbumper with tire carrier. The tire carrier rattles like a paint can all the time, so I think I might re-design a new one in my spare time.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.