Tow Bar for D-Ring Bracket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tow Bar for D-Ring Bracket

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06

Unread 05-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Anschutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tow Bar for D-Ring Bracket

Hey JF,

I'm planning to tow my Jeep from Virginia to Georgia to Colorado next month. I would like to buy a trailer but I think that is out of the question as I really would rather not do financing on a $2500 trailer even if I put a grand or so down. U-Haul is out the window because if I wanted to spend $800 I would put that down on a trailer. That leaves me with a tow bar as my only option but I don't have a stock bumper anymore. My bumper was fabricated at a shop and has D-Ring Shackles. Is there a tow bar out there that will hook into my shackles or pulls from something other than the bumper? I'm still considering the trailer option and just pay it off quick because I'm planning to get one anyways. Tow vehicle is 2009 Dodge 2500 CTD so there is plenty of weight difference between them. Thanks.

Zach

Unread 05-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is the front of the bumper flat and solidly mounted? If so, then a simple Harbor Freight tow bar should work. You can adjust the width, and it comes with mounting brackets for the bumper. Or a trailer shop could fabricate you up one.
hf-towbar.1.jpg  

Trailer build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Anschutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, It is flat and Mounted with grade 8 hardware. I'm thinking about buying the Curt or similar tow bar and finding adapters for the recovery points.
Unread 05-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
TJaefick
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I made the same trip nearly six years (from VA to CO). I flat towed it behind a Uhaul with a similar tow bar as in the pic above and it worked just fine. I had the stock bumper on at that time and for piece of mind, I ran a strip of steel behind the flimsier bumper and connected the tow-bar mounts through the stock rubber bumper mount holes. If you still have the stock front bumper you could put that on for the trip out and tow it like every other RV'er out there, but as long as it's solid and tied into frame, I would imagine that the d-rings on your current bumper would work, but don't think I've even seen tow-bar mounts that would work with them. You don't want any play in the linkage between the two vehicles.

Couple notes when flat towing: Transfer case in neutral, transmission in 5th gear (manual) or park (auto) [you do this so as to not accumulate miles on the odometer, I believe], turn key to first click (unlocks steering), get a magnetic trailer light kit ($30 from HF), and don't plan on backing up (like pushing rope).

I bought the bar on Craigslist for ~$75 and sold it when I got here for the same so it was basically free. I was nervous for the first 1575 miles or so, but the last 25 were a piece of cake.

Hope that helps. If you're coming near Denver or the Front Range, I'd be happy to show you what real wheeling is like
Unread 05-07-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

I have thought about making an adjustable tow bar that mounts to the shackle recovery points on a bumper. Figure it might be handy to have if someone breaks down on a trail.
Unread 05-08-2015, 04:17 AM   #6
Anschutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I found something. http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-874.../dp/B004K298TS
Or I actually found brakets that make it work and just get the bar from wallyworld or something.
Unread 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
TJaefick
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
I think I found something. http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-874.../dp/B004K298TS
Or I actually found brakets that make it work and just get the bar from wallyworld or something.
Yes, that should work. Just use Grade 8 hardware and you should be fine so long as the d-ring mounts are too close or too far apart from each other.
Unread 05-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used a Smittybuilt tow bar from Indiana to Idaho, worked well hooked up the the d ring mounts on my bumper.

Be sure to add aux braking as it's required in many states
Shark_13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Oldjeepman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I flat towed my tj a few yrs ago from colo. I used a harbor freight tow bar and got brackets from morris 4x4 that would work with my d-ring mounts..
Oldjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Get yourself some of these…

http://www.metalcloak.com/MetalCloak...ter-p/2196.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_150X_PG.htm

I have some just like this and they work perfect for connecting any standard tow bar to D-ring mounts on a bumper.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19OlllllllO41 View Post
Get yourself some of these…

http://www.metalcloak.com/MetalCloak...ter-p/2196.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_150X_PG.htm

I have some just like this and they work perfect for connecting any standard tow bar to D-ring mounts on a bumper.
Nice, but you can buy a complete HF tow bar (with the bumper brackets) for about the same or less that those pieces. And when you've got one of their 20-25% off coupons you can buy them for even less than the $69.00 catalog price. Don't know without measuring if those brackets above would work with the HF tow bar or if you have to use a specific tow bar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb...bar-94696.html

Unread 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Nice, but you can buy a complete HF tow bar (with the bumper brackets) for about the same or less that those pieces. And when you've got one of their 20-25% off coupons you can buy them for even less than the $69.00 catalog price. Don't know without measuring if those brackets above would work with the HF tow bar or if you have to use a specific tow bar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb...bar-94696.html
But with the HF bar you have to bolt that bracket to your bumper from what I see. The "bumper brackets" it comes with don't attach to d-ring mounts. Maybe I'm wrong though as I haven't seen a HF bar in person, just going by what I see in the pic…

And the brackets I posted above should work with any standard tow bar, even the HF one… I've used mine on a CURT and on a Hidden Hitch one and they both fit fine.
'04 WJ
The Past:
Unread 05-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #13
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But with the HF bar you have to bolt that bracket to your bumper from what I see. The "bumper brackets" it comes with don't attach to d-ring mounts. Maybe I'm wrong though as I haven't seen a HF bar in person, just going by what I see in the pic...
Yes; you have to drill four holes into your front bumper to mount the brackets (and they can stay there). They do not attach to the D-Ring mounts. The OP was planning on towing his Jeep one time across the country. Some of those separate brackets seems like they were for specific (and much more expensive) tow bars. I got the impression the OP was wanting to do this inexpensively.

Here it is mounted on my Jeep's front bumper. I put a little D-ring in it when not in use just for grins and giggles; I'd never use it as a tow strap or winch cable point. And the eye-bolt is for the tow bar safety chain.
towbar-bracket.jpg  

Unread 05-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Yes; you have to drill four holes into your front bumper to mount the brackets (and they can stay there). They do not attach to the D-Ring mounts. The OP was planning on towing his Jeep one time across the country. Some of those separate brackets seems like they were for specific (and much more expensive) tow bars. I got the impression the OP was wanting to do this inexpensively.

Here it is mounted on my Jeep's front bumper. I put a little D-ring in it when not in use just for grins and giggles; I'd never use it as a tow strap or winch cable point. And the eye-bolt is for the tow bar safety chain.
Got ya...

I based my answer to the OP on this sentence from his post: "My bumper was fabricated at a shop and has D-Ring Shackles. Is there a tow bar out there that will hook into my shackles or pulls from something other than the bumper?"

I assumed he didn't want to drill any holes and wanted something that hooked to the d-ring/shackle tab mounts. But yes, doing things the way I suggested will definitely pretty much double the price of the project!

Either way, now the OP and others have plenty of good info in this thread!
'04 WJ
The Past:
Unread 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #15
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got ya...

I based my answer to the OP on this sentence from his post: "My bumper was fabricated at a shop and has D-Ring Shackles. Is there a tow bar out there that will hook into my shackles or pulls from something other than the bumper?"

I assumed he didn't want to drill any holes and wanted something that hooked to the d-ring/shackle tab mounts. But yes, doing things the way I suggested will definitely pretty much double the price of the project!

Either way, now the OP and others have plenty of good info in this thread!
Do they still say "Fo Sho", or am I just not keeping up with the times(?). Either way, you nailed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.