Top 5 (or 10) must haves for off road - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Top 5 (or 10) must haves for off road

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #31
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Toilet paper, oak leaves just don't cut it!!!

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #32
daveWK42
2008 WK 

as someone who is fairly new to jeeps & off-roading, this is one of the most helpful & useful non-technical threads i've read on this forum. i've learned a LOT of good stuff! thanks!

hers: 2013 patriot sport
his: 2008 grand cherokee laredo
daveWK42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #33
jameslee97206
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One thing never mentioned that I have and have never used is http://www.rescuetape.com/ . This was recommended by a fellow jeeper who is a jeep jamboree trail guide.
jameslee97206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #34
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

1.) Another vehicle.
2.) Tow strap. (be sure to have recovery points too.)
3.) Water.
4.) First Aid kit.
5.) A map/ GPS unit.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #35
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerz71 View Post
Toilet paper, oak leaves just don't cut it!!!
Better oak leaves than POISON oak leaves....
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #36
Vixen
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Baby wipes!!! and those stupid torx wrenches... I carry basic supplies in case we break down as listed above and like you, I cant afford the big things like high lift, winch etc. Biggest thing is never go alone and always tell someone else were your going, that way you wont be cutting your own limbs off to try and go for help. Also if you only bring a cell phone bring the car charger too, there is nothing worse than running out of juice if you need it.

What is recovery tape????
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #37
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Looks like you live in N.C. My top five looks like this;

Money
phone
tools
full size spare and gear to change it
a range of good outdoor clothes

I wheel alone, and I haven't met that Darwin character out in the woods yet. Honestly I don't think you can go anywhere in this state where you aren't 5 miles or less from help. I'm not saying you shouldn't bring more stuff, but don't let stuff you don't have keep you from going out in the woods. Tools and the knowledge to use them are the most benefit of any offroad gear. You can get unstuck with out a winch but a winch or a Hilift won't fix your motor! Keep your brain engaged and don't take stupid risks, you'll get out o.k.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #38
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Allot depends on where you wheel. I carry a smaller set of tools not an entire tool box. I will bring extra things with me, depending on weather, parts or what ever but I take as little as possible on the trial, only what I can strap down, and that isn't much when you wheel a wrangler. Some usually has a tow vehicle staged somewhere and I keep my extra crap there.

I see people with a complete set of tools in their jeep, U joints, axles and all sort of crap and they bring their jeep on a trailer towed but some beast of a tuck with a tent and a sleeping bag in it, and hardly anything else.

The trials out my way are tight. Where I am there are only a couple parks. If you brake down you need to get your junk off the trail so other can get buy, otherwise you are just some *** screwing up other peoples day.

We always end up strapping out jeep back to the trailer anyway and drag 150lbs out tools and parts out of the back of a jeep right next to an almost completely empty 1 ton truck and trailer, I just don't get it.

When I live in CA the trailer were long and you may be miles form your tow vehicle. You had to be more self sufficient their.

And you need a good winch. Hi lift is also good to have as well as a winch. I know you can use a hi lift like or a come-a-long as a winch ya da ya da ya da. Everybody who go on anything other then mild winches. Even then having at least one good winch is a group is a good thing.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #39
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is a little tip that is #1 as a boater on Lake Erie.. Always let someone know when you are leaving, where you are going, and when you will be back. And WRITE IT DOWN for them! You can always update the plans as you go by calling if you have a signal. I think this is a good idea even if you wheel with another person or vehicle. If you dont return when you are supposed to, or after a while, they know where to begin looking and they know how long you have been gone. Very important.
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #40
Pelikan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Water, beef jerky, and a roll of quarters (in case I need to hit a car wash on the way home).
2013 JKU, billet (silver), Teraflex 2.5" llift, Teraflex lcr's, ATX Artillery wheels, 33x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Smittybilt XRC rear bumper, Rock Hard front bumper w/ Warn M8000, N-Fab nerf bars, OR-Fab swingout tire carrier
Pelikan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.