Top 5 (or 10) must haves for off road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Top 5 (or 10) must haves for off road

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Joe-Jeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Top 5 (or 10) must haves for off road

Hi All,

Newer to the site and have seen some people talk about having certain things on the trails, but I was looking for simple lists from people. Some discussions talk about winches vs come alongs, different types of tow straps, Hi Lift Jacks, snatch blocks, etc.

So my question is what are the top things you Must Have and maybe a list of Should Have with you at all times. I would say a flashlight is a Should Have and a Jack, Rope, etc is a Must Have. But would be looking for your opinions. Here are some things I am thinking of....

Winch
Come Along
Hi Lift Jack
Straps/Rope/Chain
Snatch Block
Fix a flat (2)
Flashlight/batteries
Ax/Shovel (should have?)
Food/snacks/water (should have?)

Thank you,
Joe

Joe-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if i had a dollar for every thread on this...

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Joe-Jeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

If I had a penny for everyone adding their 2 cents with something usless like that!

I did a search and there are threads on all kinds of stuff about must have's for winches or talking specifically about jacks. Or talking about survival gear. I am talking about wheeling for the average off road person who might go out for a few hours and is never further than a few miles from a road or house. Not being deserted in Alaska, in the mountains or the desert! Something a person who might go alone would need. And I doubt you can always be 100% prepared, so again, looking for some of the basics.

Thanks!
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
KevinR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would move water/food and a flashlight to must have. Those are good things just to keep in the back of the vehicle at all times (some are wary about non-BPA free water bottles leaching toxins into water if kept in a hot car). I would also add some fluids to your list of items to take off-road (ie: motor oil, diff fluid, trans, tcase, etc.)
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Major Pain

2011 JK Wrangler 

dont feel too bad about asking a question that has been asked a million times by others, this might be your first time asking. I did this alot, and I thought I searched enough to find the answer before asking and still got flamed for asking.

it is a valid question for those who want to offroad and be prepared, but it is a broad question that has many different answers depending on your specific situation.

what is a must have? are you wheeling for a day, a week or longer. are you traveling far? are you close to home? are you going alone or with a group?

first decide the type of trip you are going on and prepare for that trip.

when I think "must haves" I think of worst case scenario.

first aid kit
fire extinguisher
communication device (cell phone, CB)
some kind of food (trail mix, candy bar)
water
multi tool, knife
clothing for weather conditions

these are my must haves and there are more this is basic.

for the jeep there are no must haves really, its more about having the right equipment for what you want to do and do so you or those with you dont get hurt while having a kick a** time on the trail.

so if you want a list that covers anything it wont be 5 or 10 things it would be more like 50 or a 100.

so describe with as much detail as you can what you want to do, and then ask "what do you think I will need" and there are some very experienced people on this forum who if they see your post will offer some great advice.
Major Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

#1 must have is at least one other rig along on the trip. Amazing how much less you "must have" if you have a way out.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Joe-Jeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. In all honesty, I am thinking of what if I am alone and get stuck or a flat or break down. I will be in rural areas mostly, so walking out (if I can walk) is always a very easy option.

So for what I was talking about, 3 days of food, is not a must have or even a nice to have.

So I am looking for people on here that have been on those easy trips and say, I should have brought....

Like quick fix things. Tape, Zip Ties, Winch, Come Along, Straps, Chains, a first aid kit. I am not mechanically inclined, so bringing all kinds of spare parts probably won't help me.

And again, a newbie off roader, not going far or often and being price concientious.

Thanks again,
Joe
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1. off-road vehicle
2. place to off-road

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Those two things help for sure!

If not going far and not mechanically inclined, my "must haves" would include:

Water (always a necessity) or a way to filter
communication - CB, cell phone, etc.
Flashlight (it gets dark about every 12 hours)
Snacks (for the walk out)
Extra cash for the tow truck
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I think for a casual wheeler there are definitely some must-haves, and a lot of the threads in here of late are more for the folks that are already well-experienced and maybe a little harder than people trying to get into the sport.

1)Someone to wheel with. Having another rig on the trail gives you more options for recovery if you're stuck or transport if you break down/get injured. I do fairly mild trails, but if I broke an axle I wouldn't want to try to walk out when I'm 30 miles from even a pay phone. Even having a passenger is helpful so you can have someone spot you in tight spots and help you get recovered. Find a local club and you'll get a lot of experience with good folks. I've never met an automotive community more friendly than Jeepers.

2)Communication. If you wheel somewhere with cell service, great, but most of where I go you have no cell reception at all. CB/Ham/FRS radios are a must to communicate with other rigs or call for help. So far, CB seems the most popular.

3)Full size spare tire. A donut spare will not do the job. If you get somewhere on your 33" MTs and then tear a sidewall, no air compressor/OBA will do the job and your original 30" spare tire will not be large enough to get out. Tires come in sets of 5 when you own a Jeep. Plus you can do 5 tire rotations and get 25% greater lifespan from the set.

4)Recovery points/gear. At a bare minimum, you need a solid recovery point front and rear. Tow hooks, trailer hitch w/D-ring....and add a 20' tow strap with looped ends. A couple 3/4" d-rings will help you attach your strap to various vehicles. I also added a J-hook and a 10,000 lb grab hook for pulls.

5)Food and water. Self explanatory.

That should cover your needs for an average "getting started" wheeling trip. As far as the vehicle build/rig prep is concerned, that's a whole different story and has 1000 "right" answers depending on the rig and how/where it will be used.

Adding to this: here's a list I've posted a few times which is a list of local club requirements. Some these things can be loaned if you don't have it (ie first aid kit, air compressor) but some can't (like spare tires)
  • Driver's license
  • Proof of Insurance for you and the rig you are driving
  • Valid / current vehicle registration for the rig you are driving
  • Recovery points (tow hooks or shackles), preferably front and rear, so someone can assist from the front or back of your rig.
  • Hi-Lift style jack
  • Fullsize spare tire (no temporary spares, or spares that don't work on your rig)
  • Tow strap
  • Gloves
  • Basic tools
  • First aid kit
  • Parking brake that works
  • Functional CB radio
  • Seat belts for all people in your rig
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • FUEL!!!!! and enough of it to get you there and back... some trips may not encounter a fuel stop along the route.
  • Money (cash) !! (to buy more fuel, or food, or whatever!)
  • Additional Items recommended for winter/Snow runs:
  • Warm gloves, and a spare pair
  • Extra jacket, or maybe a rain jacket.
  • Ski Pants help to stay dry and warm
  • Boots
  • Towel or two - helps to dry off your jacket when it gets snow covered!
  • Front and rear recovery points are pretty much a MUST for snow runs!!!
  • Shovel for removing snow from around your tires when you get stuck
  • Willingness to AIR DOWN - makes a huge difference in handling

Adding to it (my own personal choices)
  • 12v Air Compressor/CO2 system to air back up. Even a $60 compressor works great.
  • Maps of the trails you are on. A Nav is nice, but often a MAP is nicer.
  • BASIC survival gear - compass, food, flashlight, knife. Boy Scout motto: BE PREPARED. No need to pack a whole campground, but its better to have it and never use it than need it and not have it.
  • ZERO tolerance for drinking/drugs on-trail.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you asked for the top 5 and not a long list, here's mine...

1) Oil pan skidplate (your 03 already has an adequate gas tank skidplate)
2) Frame mounted tow hooks, front and rear
3) Tow strap, the kind with sewn loops and NOT with steel hooks
4) Quick disconnects for your front antiswaybar (leave the rear antiswaybar in and connected!)
5) Wheel only with a friend in a separate vehicle, never wheel alone.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Everything else has been said that I would say. lots of those things are just common sense.

But everyone should have a decent selection of tools! Screwdrivers ratchet pliers small shop hammer Ya know where I'm getting at

But one thing EVERY single
Jeep should have ATLEAST one of is....

CRESCENT WRENCH!!!!!!! I have three in my tool bag. Different sizes and such. It's so handy cuz it's any size wrench you need when you need it to be. Even odd sizes. A good crescent has saved me many times and I would never go anywhere without one in my tool bag

You would be surpised what a lil thinking and a small Bag of simple tools can do. If you can think a lil outside the box

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Since you asked for the top 5 and not a long list, here's mine...

1) Oil pan skidplate (your 03 already has an adequate gas tank skidplate)
2) Frame mounted tow hooks, front and rear
3) Tow strap, the kind with sewn loops and NOT with steel hooks
4) Quick disconnects for your front antiswaybar (leave the rear antiswaybar in and connected!)
5) Wheel only with a friend in a separate vehicle, never wheel alone.
I'll second #5

Never wheel alone

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
zooby
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I keep a small pack in my jeep with a few essential's, that plus most of the things every one listed.
I do have one thing to add, you say your not mechanically inclined, have you tried to change a tire on your jeep using only the tools there?
If not, it would suck to have to walk out of an area because you found the jack you never used didn't work or you had different lug nut's and the tire wrench didn't fit.
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
olebluetj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

agree on what everyone said, plus i also bring my 357 cus you never know what kind of situation might come
up out in the woods

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.