Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TNT Tire Carrier Issues. My Fault?

12K views 63 replies 22 participants last post by  Gabe 
#1 ·
So. About a month ago I bought a TNT tire carrier thinking it Would be great. Well after one off-road trip the carrier took a beating. And also damaging My jeep significantly.

Note: I modified my bolt pattern to fit my jk wheels, and painted the tire carrier. Both have nothing to do with the fact that this carrier is made from weak material.

I'll let you guys read the rest.

Let me know what you think. And what I should do.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm pretty pissed. I was skeptical about their design on these carriers. But it failed so fast. I should've stuck with the OR-Fab one I had. All I would need is the swing out itself for a replacement. Then I would do all the reinforcing on it to make it work properly since it's so weak out of the factory. But I do not want to run this carrier. Like I said. It damaged my tub significantly. To the point where I need armor just to cover it up.

#6 ·
My thinking is that most likely the problem originated from the carrier being able to move around (rattle) while off roading. There is a lot of weight (huge tire) being thrown around (rattling) constantly which will only worsen as your Jeep is subjected to off road use.

I personally can’t see how rattling could have been avoided in the first place with that type of latch set-up. If you didn’t have the snubbers/bump stops adjusted properly to begin with then most likely you may have started the whole change of events early on.

From the pics I see on their web site it looks like they have corner guards installed which of course significantly reinforces the area of the lower left side snubber, way more than stock sheet metal could ever do.

For what its worth in my opinion that tire carrier is not very well designed for anything above a 33/35-inch tire.

It’s obvious you’re not going to get any satisfaction from them (no matter who’s right in this situation) so at this point just let it go and chalk it up as lesson learned.
:cheers2:

#7 ·
1222 said:
My thinking is that most likely the problem originated from the carrier being able to move around (rattle) while off roading. There is a lot of weight (huge tire) being thrown around (rattling) constantly which will only worsen as your Jeep is subjected to off road use. I personally can’t see how rattling could have been avoided in the first place with that type of latch set-up. If you didn’t have the snubbers/bump stops adjusted properly to begin with then most likely you may have started the whole change of events early on. From the pics I see on their web site it looks like they have corner guards installed which of course significantly reinforces the area of the lower left side snubber, way more than stock sheet metal could ever do. For what its worth in my opinion that tire carrier is not very well designed for anything above a 33/35-inch tire. It’s obvious you’re not going to get any satisfaction from them (no matter who’s right in this situation) so at this point just let it go and chalk it up as lesson learned. :cheers2:
This is here for everyone else to avoid this issue. They claim this can carry a 40. Which is horse****. I'm out $500 on this carrier, kind of hard to "let go".

#8 ·
I don’t blame you and I would feel the same way if it were me but at this point there doesn’t seem to be a way to get your money back. You tried but they aren’t budging. If they were in the same area as you small claims court would be a great place to settle things.

I hope you end up getting some satisfaction somehow but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on it and on top of all this is the damm shipping fees for a piece of junk.

It’s too bad they choose to handle things this way. To cut off the latch end and replace with a new one shouldn’t take a fabricator too long and the material used is no big deal. Satisfying a customer is worth several times over than whatever time they would have invested in repairs. Definitely not the way I would run a business.

#9 ·
Wow, I can't believe their attitude and crappy design. I think at this point I'd chalk it up to experience and just bite the bullet and go with the OR-Fab carrier you first considered. That's a solid rattle-free design that will hold up and not give any problems. I've been running OR-Fab's carrier for 13-14 years & to this day I haven't seen any other carrier I would even consider.

#10 ·
1222 said:
I don’t blame you and I would feel the same way if it were me but at this point there doesn’t seem to be a way to get your money back. You tried but they aren’t budging. If they were in the same area as you small claims court would be a great place to settle things. I hope you end up getting some satisfaction somehow but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on it and on top of all this is the damm shipping fees for a piece of junk. It’s too bad they choose to handle things this way. To cut off the latch end and replace with a new one shouldn’t take a fabricator too long and the material used is no big deal. Satisfying a customer is worth several times over than whatever time they would have invested in repairs. Definitely not the way I would run a business. :cheers2:
I agree entirely.

#11 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Wow, I can't believe their attitude and crappy design. I think at this point I'd chalk it up to experience and just bite the bullet and go with the OR-Fab carrier you first considered. That's a solid rattle-free design that will hold up and not give any problems. I've been running OR-Fab's carrier for 13-14 years & to this day I haven't seen any other carrier I would even consider.
I ran that carrier as well. Never had an issue except for the over hang (jerry can model). Worst part was I was so close to buying the non jerry can model before this one. What a mistake.

#12 ·
Just sent an email back. I'll pay to get the carrier back. At least I can somewhat fixit up and get my money back selling it to someone with 33s.

#13 ·
That's some bull****! It bothers me when companies won't stand behind their product. I think the worst part of this situation is that they blame you. I've handsome run ins with companies, but at the end of the day, they took care of me. I'm disappointed to see that they aren't even wiling to work with you. I won't be buying anything from them, and I'll be sure to tell people that they don't stand behind their products when asked!

#15 ·
Ya that is total crap how TNT is treating you. Sounds like you have been civil and given them every chance.

The fact of it is the carrier latch assembly looks to be made out of 1/8" material which would never hold a 40" tire much less anything else.

#17 ·
This jeep has run this exact same carrier for the past 3 years and has had no problems. Note that it is hauling a 42" tire. When the carrier is properly installed, it is impossible for the latch to come open. There is a lock on the latch that prevents that. The carrier we received back has had modifications to every piece of the carrier. There have been holes drilled, bolts moved, and the latch bolt has been broken. Being that we have sold hundreds of these carriers and never have had one end up looking like the pieces on this one , we have to assume that there was damage done to this carrier. Ali's first line of this post says his carrier "took a beating" . It was designed to hold a tire, not to take a beating. We offered to fix what he damaged but he didn't like the price.

Attachments

#22 ·
This jeep has run this exact same carrier for the past 3 years and has had no problems. Note that it is hauling a 42" tire. ...
From what I can tell from the pic you just posted is that Jeep has corner guards installed which CAN take a beating and carrier movement without damage. The OP's Jeep didn't have that which apparently pushed in on the sheet metal (lower left snubber/bump stop) and most likely started a chain of events that led to all the carnage.

If I'm correct then perhaps you should recommend corner guards for tires over 33" along with a warning of what could happen if they are not installed.

#19 ·
TnTCustoms said:
This jeep has run this exact same carrier for the past 3 years and has had no problems. Note that it is hauling a 42" tire. When the carrier is properly installed, it is impossible for the latch to come open. There is a lock on the latch that prevents that. The carrier we received back has had modifications to every piece of the carrier. There have been holes drilled, bolts moved, and the latch bolt has been broken. Being that we have sold hundreds of these carriers and never have had one end up looking like the pieces on this one , we have to assume that there was damage done to this carrier. Ali's first line of this post says his carrier "took a beating" . It was designed to hold a tire, not to take a beating. We offered to fix what he damaged but he didn't like the price.
It took a beating from the actual tire being on there. Not from anything outside that.

The carrier was installed correctly as per instructions provided.

#20 ·
WhiteOut said:
Can you post pictures of all the modifications and drilling that is on the bumper then? I'd have real issues buying a tire carrier that is going to peel apart as soon as I whack it on a rock.
The sheet metal on the TJ tub cannot hold something like this. Not with a tire of that size anyway. My tub has flexed a great deal and it is dented from the rubber bumpstop that is supposed to stop it from rattling.

#23 ·
TnTCustoms said:
This one must be reinforced. It also has corners, which reinforce the tub. Why does this one carry a 42", but is only rated for a 40"? When you sell your carrier, do you provide a lock for your customers or just your own vehicles? Why would he pay you $100 an hour to fix a piece of **** carrier that you won't warranty when he could take that money and buy a carrier from a company that stands behind their products?!

#27 ·
TNT's response and argumentative customer-is-wrong attitude shown in this thread is not one that I'd be happy with. I'd cut my losses and just chalk it up to having selected the wrong carrier manufacturer. You won't have any issues if you go with the Off-Road Fabricator carrier. I've had both their jerry-can carrier version & the standard version & both have their advantages/disadvantages. But yes the overhang of the jerry-can version can be excessive for some trails which is why I went with the standard swing-out version for my replacement TJ.

#29 ·
I have to agree with TNT on this one. As with ANY possibly defective product. You contact the manufacturer before you start bending, drilling and modifying the product. No way in the world I would take a product back after the customer beat it up, drilled and bent it around. I'm NOT saying the OPS concerns and statements arent valid. I'm just saying common sense dictates before you start drilling and bending that you call the manufacturer or retailer.

#30 ·
fiftycal said:
I have to agree with TNT on this one. As with ANY possibly defective product. You contact the manufacturer before you start bending, drilling and modifying the product. No way in the world I would take a product back after the customer beat it up, drilled and bent it around. I'm NOT saying the OPS concerns and statements arent valid. I'm just saying common sense dictates before you start drilling and bending that you call the manufacturer or retailer.
The only thing that was modified in anyway was the paint. And the bolt pattern. One bracket was drilled to have a larger diameter bolt thru it with a larger washer on the other end to prevent the original bolt from ripping they my tub.

Nothing else was modified in anyway. Also. Like with paint, bolt pattern has nothing to do with the strength of the carrier.

Bending of the bracket was to bend it BACK into place. Not bent to modify anything.

I'm not expecting anything else. I've already cut my losses here. I asked for the carrier back and I'm waiting on an email from the company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.