Tj hard top question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tj hard top question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
CecilHud

Tj hard top question

I recently purchased a 1997 Wrangler TJ and the soft top it came with will need to be replaced soon. I have a friend of mine that has an 05 hard top and they said they'd sell it to me cheap. I know between 02 and 03 there was a slight design change to the Wrangler and I'm wondering if the 05 hard top would be compatible with my 97. Any advice and info will be helpful and thanks.

CecilHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
jschroeder423
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think after a certain year they removed the vents from the hard top and placed a vent in the tailgate to compensate. Other than that I'm not sure what the differences are.
jschroeder423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You are likely to find a lot of conflicting information about the interchanging of old and new TJ tops. Since this is a friend, do a test fit before you buy. Maybe for a couple days? If it fits it fits. But be sure to report back and let us know.
jjvw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
CecilHud

I'll be sure to! And thanks for the replies.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
YoungGun
1998 TJ Wrangler 

From 03-06 jeep tailgates had vents in them to let air escape, and from 97-02 jeeps had vents in the hardtops. But everything should bolt together fine. I had a 98 jeep with hardtop and I replaced the body with an 2006 tub and had no issues with fitment with my 97-02 hardtop.

I think the only issue you will have will be more of an annoyance than anything, because the initial air pressure of slamming a full door shut, might cause it not to fully latch, since the air has no where to escape fast enough. But there is a possibility that you won't have an issue with this problem.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
CecilHud

Thank you YoungGun for that.

Update: it turned out it was for an LJ and she just didn't know the difference. So I guess I'll be going with a new soft top!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.