Titanium Exhaust Research - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Titanium Exhaust Research

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
navy4life
1999 WJ 

Titanium Exhaust Research

So to start off, I work as a quality engineer for an aerospace tubing manufacturer. We specialize in titanium tubing for various aircraft manufacturers. After speaking with my employer, I've convinced him into allowing me to utilize some machines after work to test out a business opportunity. I'm looking to see what type of market there currently is for titanium exhaust kits in the jeep community. I have the CNC benders, saws, welders, etc. at my disposal after hours. We also have a laser scanner accurate within .01" to verify dimensions. On top of that, if you are familiar, we have an ISO9001 and AS9100 certified Quality management system.

Obviously, there is normally a substantial cost difference for titanium. In this case, the cost difference would be 20% higher than an equivalent stainless kit at best.

Besides the weight reduction, which to be honest should not be a factor when you own a Jeep, there are added strength benefits as well as the fact titanium doesn't rust.

Now we don't only do titanium bending, we also do stainless, aluminum, inconel, copper etc... So there would be other kits possibly available.

So what are your thoughts? Would you willingly pay the extra money? Do you think there is enough of a market out there? What questions/concerns do you have?

Thank You.

Unread 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There are few things easier and cheaper to remove, toss and replace than exhaust pipes. Stainless is for the ego, titanium would be for the compulsive. Waste of money.
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy4life View Post
So to start off, I work as a quality engineer for an aerospace tubing manufacturer. We specialize in titanium tubing for various aircraft manufacturers. After speaking with my employer, I've convinced him into allowing me to utilize some machines after work to test out a business opportunity. I'm looking to see what type of market there currently is for titanium exhaust kits in the jeep community. I have the CNC benders, saws, welders, etc. at my disposal after hours. We also have a laser scanner accurate within .01" to verify dimensions. On top of that, if you are familiar, we have an ISO9001 and AS9100 certified Quality management system.

Obviously, there is normally a substantial cost difference for titanium. In this case, the cost difference would be 20% higher than an equivalent stainless kit at best.

Besides the weight reduction, which to be honest should not be a factor when you own a Jeep, there are added strength benefits as well as the fact titanium doesn't rust.

Now we don't only do titanium bending, we also do stainless, aluminum, inconel, copper etc... So there would be other kits possibly available.

So what are your thoughts? Would you willingly pay the extra money? Do you think there is enough of a market out there? What questions/concerns do you have?

Thank You.
Please tell me you are gonna make one out of inconel! Just kidding. I know that would be ridiculous... Wouldn't it? Just surprised you mentioned it on a jeep forum. We use that stuff in our pressure control products (offshore industry).

As for titanium, I could see the increase in cost of materials offset by the hunger to get a new product out in the market. What total cost are we talkin here? I probably wouldn't need it (live in Texas), but I could see others needing it.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
navy4life
1999 WJ 

Haha, one made of Inconel would probably weigh more than an aftermarket bumper setup, front and back!

I've been designing a setup that uses 2.5" tubing, with either wiggins or hydra flow style flanges. They are sturdy, yet offer quick disconnecting for when you work on the vehicle.

All together with the pricing available to me, a full (single) kit right now is looking around $800. I'm quite confident that by manufacturing all the connections myself, along with the tubing and welding, I could get the pricing down to near $625-$700.

Even for a stainless kit, I could have one made for around $450. Probably less, I just haven't put as much time into designing/quoting one.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.