Tire pressure gauge-best durable and portable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tire pressure gauge-best durable and portable

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Tire pressure gauge-best durable and portable

Who makes a REALLY good gauge for trail use when airing up and down? I have been using a cheapy slime brand but I know it is not accurate in the 10psi range.

Digital is OK, but it's gotta be durable and work when I need it.

Cheers!
WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

For airing down use the Currie style deflator that includes gauge. For airing up your cheapy is fine.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
For airing down use the Currie style deflator that includes gauge. For airing up your cheapy is fine.
I looked them up, they are one tire at a time. I am using a four pack of deflators now, I basically screw one on, then the next and by the time I have the four on, the first is down and ready for checking. I set the deflators once at the shop with a good amflo gauge and they seem to work fine but the gauge I am using in the field, shows up a three lb difference, big when your not running locks.

That said, does the Currie DF need to have the valve stem removed to work?

Thanks a bunch!
WSS

Unread 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I looked them up, they are one tire at a time. I am using a four pack of deflators now, I basically screw one on, then the next and by the time I have the four on, the first is down and ready for checking. I set the deflators once at the shop with a good amflo gauge and they seem to work fine but the gauge I am using in the field, shows up a three lb difference, big when your not running locks.

That said, does the Currie DF need to have the valve stem removed to work?

Thanks a bunch!
WSS
The Currie deflator does remove the valve stem but it holds the stem for you inside the deflator. You screw on one ring on to the valve overall and then unscrew the stem with second ring. No risk of losing the stem and in and out very easy. It is one tire at a time but definitely the fastest deflator I'm aware of.

Never used the screw on deflators but seems like accuracy in actual use is a complaint I've heard. Are you sure your gauge is wrong and it isn't just that you are getting iffy performance from the deflators?
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
The Currie deflator does remove the valve stem but it holds the stem for you inside the deflator. You screw on one ring on to the valve overall and then unscrew the stem with second ring. No risk of losing the stem and in and out very easy. It is one tire at a time but definitely the fastest deflator I'm aware of.

Never used the screw on deflators but seems like accuracy in actual use is a complaint I've heard. Are you sure your gauge is wrong and it isn't just that you are getting iffy performance from the deflators?
I can see were it would be REALLY fast if the VS was removed. I am not sure of the accuracy of my DFs, my field gauge is only good to 10psi min. I am going to 12psi, meaning it is at the extreme end of the sweep. I am suspecting my DFs are off some, I can see it when rock hopping.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.