Tire pressure gauge-best durable and portable - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Tire pressure gauge-best durable and portable

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Reply
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
WSS
Registered User
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,044
Tire pressure gauge-best durable and portable

Who makes a REALLY good gauge for trail use when airing up and down? I have been using a cheapy slime brand but I know it is not accurate in the 10psi range.

Digital is OK, but it's gotta be durable and work when I need it.

Cheers!
WSS

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 13,927
For airing down use the Currie style deflator that includes gauge. For airing up your cheapy is fine.
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
WSS
Registered User
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
For airing down use the Currie style deflator that includes gauge. For airing up your cheapy is fine.
I looked them up, they are one tire at a time. I am using a four pack of deflators now, I basically screw one on, then the next and by the time I have the four on, the first is down and ready for checking. I set the deflators once at the shop with a good amflo gauge and they seem to work fine but the gauge I am using in the field, shows up a three lb difference, big when your not running locks.

That said, does the Currie DF need to have the valve stem removed to work?

Thanks a bunch!
WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 13,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I looked them up, they are one tire at a time. I am using a four pack of deflators now, I basically screw one on, then the next and by the time I have the four on, the first is down and ready for checking. I set the deflators once at the shop with a good amflo gauge and they seem to work fine but the gauge I am using in the field, shows up a three lb difference, big when your not running locks.

That said, does the Currie DF need to have the valve stem removed to work?

Thanks a bunch!
WSS
The Currie deflator does remove the valve stem but it holds the stem for you inside the deflator. You screw on one ring on to the valve overall and then unscrew the stem with second ring. No risk of losing the stem and in and out very easy. It is one tire at a time but definitely the fastest deflator I'm aware of.

Never used the screw on deflators but seems like accuracy in actual use is a complaint I've heard. Are you sure your gauge is wrong and it isn't just that you are getting iffy performance from the deflators?
__________________
Thank you Dave Cole, Dynomax, Falken and all the Spec Class sponsors!!
biffgnar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
WSS
Registered User
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chino, Ca
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
The Currie deflator does remove the valve stem but it holds the stem for you inside the deflator. You screw on one ring on to the valve overall and then unscrew the stem with second ring. No risk of losing the stem and in and out very easy. It is one tire at a time but definitely the fastest deflator I'm aware of.

Never used the screw on deflators but seems like accuracy in actual use is a complaint I've heard. Are you sure your gauge is wrong and it isn't just that you are getting iffy performance from the deflators?
I can see were it would be REALLY fast if the VS was removed. I am not sure of the accuracy of my DFs, my field gauge is only good to 10psi min. I am going to 12psi, meaning it is at the extreme end of the sweep. I am suspecting my DFs are off some, I can see it when rock hopping.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.