tire deflator?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > tire deflator??

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Demolition_x
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Make your own...

Demolition_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #17
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys, I love this site. I understand now what all of you are saying about using it for inflating, it screws on the stem and would be a pita.....Ive got a few regular tire gages that I can throw in the Jeep. Thanks again for helping me out
2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Staun's and really like them a lot.

They have been consistent for me so no issues there. I will say this. . . . the Currie / ARB deflator is faster on a per-tire basis but I usually finish deflating ALL my tires with my Stauns before my friends with the Currie / ARB deflator finish.

The issue is that while the Stauns aren't as fast on a per-tire basis I can deflate all four tires at once.

The second benefit is that I don't have to baby sit the tire. I can just screw on the Stauns and walk way. So while my tires are airing down I'm doing other stuff to get the Jeep ready for the trail.

Lastly. . . my knees and back really like the Staun's, too. This was my primary motivation. My knees get sore if I squat down to wait for the tire to deflate. And my back get sore if I stand up but lean over to do the same.

As to the inability to quickly adjust to different pressures..... this is true. But I have my Stauns set for a "typical" trail pressure where I like to run. If I feel the need to drop pressure down another few PSI I'll do it manually. . . but that is rare, usually only on snow runs. Otherwise, most of our trail surfaces are pretty consistent (packed dirt trails w/ some rocks / logs, etc.) so a typical, single pressure setting works well for many many different trail areas.

And just a tip.... put a few drops of air tool oil in the Stauns to help keep the internal bits nicely lubed up for smooth operation.
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Lastly. . . my knees and back really like the Staun's, too. This was my primary motivation. My knees get sore if I squat down to wait for the tire to deflate. And my back get sore if I stand up but lean over to do the same.
Same here, I'm not really concerned about how long it takes to air down, I just don't like having to kneel down the entire time! I have started using the trailhead deflators, used them a few times now, I like them! I just have them set a few pounds higher than what I want, then do the last pound or two with a small rock off the ground and my regular tire gauge.

I have tried setting them to the exact PSI I wanted, and they did seem to be really darn close to each other, but still mentally I like to manually set the last pound or so, just so that I know what it's set to using the gauge that I always use.
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

With the valve stem core pulled out, the Currie deflator makes really short work of it, total start-finish is about 5 minutes. It drops roughly 1 psi every 2 seconds and it is super easy to check where you are at. Very handy tool.

Also, FWIW, the ARB and Currie deflators are identical other than the logo. If you're looking at this type of deflator, save the $12 difference and just buy the Currie.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.