tire deflator?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > tire deflator??

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

tire deflator??

For the first time this weekend at the Topless for Tatas event, I aired down, well, I didnt, my guide did it for me. He used a guage that threaded on to the valve stem and removed the core to let air out, then stopped when reached his goal. Im interested in what everyone is using, and can you reccomend one for me? They had means there to air back up. Can this "gauge" also be used as a regular tire gauge when airing up or is a seperate gauge needed? Thanks from the newbie

2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That Currie deflator is awesome. Fastest deflator I've ever seen. Love mine.

For airing back up I just use a cheap gauge from an auto parts store.
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Trevino
1999 WJ 

I have a ARB e-z tire deflator that sounds like it works the same way as the one you described. It removes the valve stem to air down very fast then you just screw the valve stem back in.
Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
That Currie deflator is awesome. Fastest deflator I've ever seen. Love mine.

For airing back up I just use a cheap gauge from an auto parts store.
x2.

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Yup that's exactly my set up lol.
Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

X3 on the ARB type deflator, I use a different pressure gauge for re-inflation.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

So neither the Currie, or ARB can be used to check your tire psi, like when airing back up, both would require another gage, correct? Just want to make sure I got it right......thanks for all the help guys..
2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use Staun deflators. Preset them for the desired psi. Screw them on, walk away then remove them when they stop deflating.

The ARB/Currie deflators although hands on, are by far the fastest way to airdown.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers
So neither the Currie, or ARB can be used to check your tire psi, like when airing back up, both would require another gage, correct? Just wan around t to make sure I got it right......thanks for all the help guys..
Don't see why it wouldn't work but never tried it with mine. Seems like a little too much messing around for inflating. Auto shop gauge costs a couple bucks and pops right on for a quick read.
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I use trailhead automatic deflators and have had no problems with them. The kit also comes with a tire pressure gauge.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

thanks for all the help guys, sorry for the stupid questions, I was wondering if just the deflator would do both so as not to have to carry something esle, lol......im runnin outta room......thanks again for all the help
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Get a quality Milton pencil gauge, that's what I am using and it's just as accurate as my Blue point dial gauge.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
XJohnnyC

I also have a Currie deflator. It would be a PITA to use it for re-inflating. You'd have to screw it onto the valve stem to check the psi. A separate gauge would be easier. I have a built-in gauge on my inflation nozzle.

I used to have the Staun deflators. They worked great. You could screw them on and they would deflate to the preset psi even while driving. But...the problem with the Stauns is that they are not quickly adjustable. Say you preset the Stauns to 15 psi. But then you want to go down to 10 psi. I bought the Currie deflator so that I could air down to any psi and then gave away the Stauns.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
unrealtrip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I use some screw on types by Oasis off road, they are really convenient, I definitely recommend them. Been using them for about 13 years now. All the set and forget screw on ones are basically the same.
www.secretreality.com
unrealtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

I find the Staunch deflators to be inconsistent. The valves stick and don't deflate correctly.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.