“Thank you sir, may we have another.” - The Saga of the MetalCloak Frame Built Bumper - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > “Thank you sir, may we have another.” - The Saga of the MetalCloak Frame Built Bumper

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #91
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Ahhh, yes... the not so secret rumor mill has been busy... but here it is... the New Aluminum Base for our Frame-Built Bumper System!

But wait, you say... that looks just like your Hot Rolled Steel base! And you would be right... the same 2.0 mil black textured powdercoat protects this incredible and rugged aluminum bumper base.

Made of 5052-H38 Aluminum, this bumper has, in some respects, greater strength then our own Steel base. How? As our own engineer, Jeepineer, specifies:
Quote:
Jeepineer: Hot rolled steel plate A36 has a yield strength of 34,000-36,000psi dependent upon vendor. Aluminum 5052-H38 has a yield strength of 38,000-40,000psi dependent upon vendor.
When we started the Frame-Built concept, we knew Aluminum was in the future which is why we started with aluminum shackle mounts and fairleads.

Our first Aluminum bumper to hit the market... Dendrophobe's build which you can see here and follow in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/me...alcloak+bumper

How much lighter is it? Comparing these two builds...

The Hot Rolled Steel version comes in at 40 lbs and the Aluminum is only 23! Which is which? You tell me!

Try your hand at an aluminum build... BYOB! MetalCloak, home of the Arched Jeep TJ / LJ / YJ Tube Fender.

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #92
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

nice to shed some weight off the front end...
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #93
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post
Ahhh, yes... the not so secret rumor mill has been busy... but here it is... the New Aluminum Base for our Frame-Built Bumper System!

But wait, you say... that looks just like your Hot Rolled Steel base! And you would be right... the same 2.0 mil black textured powdercoat protects this incredible and rugged aluminum bumper base.

Made of 5052-H38 Aluminum, this bumper has, in some respects, greater strength then our own Steel base. How? As our own engineer, Jeepineer, specifies:

When we started the Frame-Built concept, we knew Aluminum was in the future which is why we started with aluminum shackle mounts and fairleads.

Our first Aluminum bumper to hit the market... Dendrophobe's build which you can see here and follow in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/me...alcloak+bumper

How much lighter is it? Comparing these two builds...

The Hot Rolled Steel version comes in at 40 lbs and the Aluminum is only 23! Which is which? You tell me!

Try your hand at an aluminum build... BYOB! MetalCloak, home of the Arched Jeep TJ / LJ / YJ Tube Fender.

I want one ! Anybody wanna buy a stupid Tube bumper ? Cheap !!
Unread 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #94
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Where does one put lights on that sexy bumper?
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #95
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

they are supposed to be adding an option for that but for the time being you can drill out the end caps if you want
Unread 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #96
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastadog View Post
Where does one put lights on that sexy bumper?
UltimateCC is right in that you can easily drill holes in the end caps for mounting lights, but we are developing several options including brackets that will allow for light mounting at several points.

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #97
Antosc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I love everything you are doing Metalcloak!! I have been looking for months at what I should do next to my Jeep and I have gone from lift to bumpers to fenders and so on. One day your fenders just showed up and I have never felt so certain on a product before! Your overline tube fenders for the TJ's are my next buy for sure!

But now that I see the bumpers, I like you guys even more! I love the chance to have options on something I'm buying and your options are amazing! I also like how you can keep changing the bumper to fit your needs..

I agree with what people are saying, there needs to be some other grill guard or stinger option.. Maybe some kinda of stinger that isn't coming too far forward but at the same time not going backwards like the winch protector?

Ex:http://www.truckaddons.com/images02/...ateway_pic.jpg

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/a.../366984/D1.jpg

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/data/a.../366984/F1.jpg

Last thing.. I think the best thing I could see is some sort of skid plate option that comes with the bumper like some of these guys:

http://www.oramagazine.com/images/04...2article01.jpg

http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/FourRea...65/KJ70006.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0008_large.jpg

All in all, I think you guys have made some great products and I'm excited to see the new things you come up with!
Antosc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #98
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

license plate plate attachment?

for those of us in states that require a front license plate, are the front bolts in the middle meant for a plate or are they just cosmetic? It would be a shame to drill my own holes in a custom bumper for my dumb license plate.

...what say you Metalcloak?

jim
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #99
Jeepineer

Quote:
for those of us in states that require a front license plate, are the front bolts in the middle meant for a plate or are they just cosmetic? It would be a shame to drill my own holes in a custom bumper for my dumb license plate.

...what say you Metalcloak?

jim
The two bolts holes on the center of the under angle of the front of the bumper are for a quick release license plate holder that should be out by the end of January.

If you buy the roller fairlead bracket and use a roller fairlead there are many companies (Kilby) that offer a snap on/off license plate system for a roller fairlead.

I hope this information is helpful.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #100
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

front plate saga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepineer View Post
The two bolts holes on the center of the under angle of the front of the bumper are for a quick release license plate holder that should be out by the end of January.

If you buy the roller fairlead bracket and use a roller fairlead there are many companies (Kilby) that offer a snap on/off license plate system for a roller fairlead.

I hope this information is helpful.
Totally. I'm assuming that the bolts are the exact distance for a plate? How 'quick release' is it? I live in DC and plate stealing is a real possibility.

As far as a winch cover/plate thingy; I plan on synthetic line with a safety thimble so that won't work for me.

jim
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #101
Jeepineer

Quote:
Totally. I'm assuming that the bolts are the exact distance for a plate? How 'quick release' is it? I live in DC and plate stealing is a real possibility.

As far as a winch cover/plate thingy; I plan on synthetic line with a safety thimble so that won't work for me.

jim
The holes are 7" on center which is standard for most license plates. The quick release will be very quick release. In other words, easy to steal.

We can make a simple more permanent bracket kit for you, but if the license plate is left in place while wheeling it will reduce the approach angle clearance of the front bumper.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #102
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

let me know when you guys get the lp brackets, ill be needing one of those to replace my ziptie job right now haha
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #103
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
let me know when you guys get the lp brackets, ill be needing one of those to replace my ziptie job right now haha
x2 on the brackets!!! I'm assuming the holes have threaded nutserts now?
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #104
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

so how much for the fenders i mean everything all hardware for the arched fenders with a 4" fender flare. would that be enough to be legal in states where fender flares are a law. I run 33x10.50 and wonder would 4" cover them and be enough? what do i have to change up under the hood? If there is alot of changing and remounting?

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #105
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4 should cover 10.5s depending on your offset, my 6in cover my 12.5s with 4in bs on 15x8s perfect....they come with everything you need and what it doesn't come with you reuse your stock hardware...under the hood you have to bend some mounting brackets a tiny bit but nothing major. its all pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.