“Thank you sir, may we have another.” - The Saga of the MetalCloak Frame Built Bumper - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > “Thank you sir, may we have another.” - The Saga of the MetalCloak Frame Built Bumper

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You guys really know how to fab stuff, and you clearly make quality products. I'm impressed with the openness on the forum and the designs & concepts from an engineering standpoint. Keep up the good work on that end.

But damn, that bumper if fugly. Not my style at all. To complicated, to much bolt on stuff, not a clean look and a flashy logo

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
chandlerr

2006 LJ Wrangler 

wow like this bumper way better than the first, why not add a comp style stinger to the mix?.... also, just noticed you added the cutout wheel opening to the rear fenders, was wonderin if it still uses the same tube and you just cut the base? I got the rear fenders before the option, and ended up cutting out maybe around 1.5 inches both front and back, until the tube stopped me from going further

2006 Black LJ Rubicon, mostly stock with 33's... soon to change
chandlerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #18
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerr View Post
wow like this bumper way better than the first, why not add a comp style stinger to the mix?.... also, just noticed you added the cutout wheel opening to the rear fenders, was wonderin if it still uses the same tube and you just cut the base? I got the rear fenders before the option, and ended up cutting out maybe around 1.5 inches both front and back, until the tube stopped me from going further
The cut-out uses the same flares. Only the mounting plate is modified. I'd like more info about your build, send me a PM.

Glad you like the bumper! Send us an image of what style stinger you are looking for and if we incorporate it into our product line-up, we will send you the first production model for free.

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak

Last edited by matsonian; 10-24-2009 at 03:49 PM..
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #19
chandlerr

2006 LJ Wrangler 

pm sent.....

Unread 10-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
cmoore
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think in general your stuff is needlessly overcomplicated and way over priced for the market (despite good looking fab). A bumper is still just a bumper after all. The ability to customize the bumper setup is innovative, but I wonder how much weight could be saved and strength increased if these things were one piece deals.
98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i agree that the bolt together nature of this is too.......lego like. I can't imagine it being too difficult to put together a few jigs to weld the pieces together.

Before i make a judgment call on price, i'd like to see the prices of individual components/finishes. $785 (that's what it says on the website, not the $685 you posted here) for that ezzy bumper his pretty steep. However, you guys are on-par for price w/ the Hanson bumpers, but i for the price/appearance, they'd get my money.

Why not offer, bare steel/aluminum, save people the cost of powdercoat. I for one wouldn't mind saving $100+ for powder coat, or lack of.

I'm also not a fan of the pointed leading edge. Why not make the the upper face vertical, but leave the bottom angled? and ditch the laser cut for a sticker logo. People would have to ask what the M was for anyway, so it's not very effective as a built-in billboard.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
chandlerr

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't understand why people are so against bolting things to the bumper, my bumper currently isn't welded to the frame and I'm not worried about it.... and especially with this bumper, the way it looks like with this bumper there are quite a few bolts, meaning it could take a beating and I would be more worried about the bumper deforming than the bolts shearing

Unread 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #23
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerr View Post
I don't understand why people are so against bolting things to the bumper, my bumper currently isn't welded to the frame and I'm not worried about it.... and especially with this bumper, the way it looks like with this bumper there are quite a few bolts, meaning it could take a beating and I would be more worried about the bumper deforming than the bolts shearing
i completely agree about the strength of a bolt. It's probably just as strong, and the weight difference is minimal compared to welding, but it just looks...like an erector set...
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #24
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
i agree that the bolt together nature of this is too.......lego like. I can't imagine it being too difficult to put together a few jigs to weld the pieces together.

Before i make a judgment call on price, i'd like to see the prices of individual components/finishes. $785 (that's what it says on the website, not the $685 you posted here) for that ezzy bumper his pretty steep. However, you guys are on-par for price w/ the Hanson bumpers, but i for the price/appearance, they'd get my money.

Why not offer, bare steel/aluminum, save people the cost of powdercoat. I for one wouldn't mind saving $100+ for powder coat, or lack of.

I'm also not a fan of the pointed leading edge. Why not make the the upper face vertical, but leave the bottom angled? and ditch the laser cut for a sticker logo. People would have to ask what the M was for anyway, so it's not very effective as a built-in billboard.
Thank you for the awesome points!

As the post mentions: "With our 20% sale, these pre-configured builds range in price from $248 for the Stealth to $628 for Ezzy's Build." But I was remiss in not clearly defining that the Build Your Own Bumper link on our our Frame Built webpage is where you can also find each of the individual components listed for sale.

Here is a direct link: Order Your Own TJ/LJ/YJ Frame-Built Modular Bumper

As for the bolt-on nature. We truly appreciate all the great companies that have developed and continue to develop great and effective bumpers for Jeepers everywhere, but, as we mention in the thread, at MetalCloak we are always striving for something different, something unique and something that stretches the limits of the industry, while maintaining the goal of having the highest quality fabrication in the marketplace. (see the thread on our manufacturing process HERE).

Like our original Arched Tube Fenders, we expect many will like this Frame-Built concept with replaceable trail-tested components and many will not, but we value and respect each of you and your great feedback.

Thank you!!!

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post
...you can also find each of the individual components listed for sale.

Here is a direct link: Order Your Own TJ/LJ/YJ Frame-Built Modular Bumper
ah, the price of stainless make a lot more sense...everything seems reasonable...except for UPS, too bad this stuff won't fit in a flat rate USPS box

I didn't mention it before, but I like how you can just add stuff on as you want. That way you don't have to get the fairlead mount or guard until you get a winch. I still kinda looks like an erector set though, but it's growing on me a bit.

Do you have any pix or renderings of the back? is it open or boxed?
Quote:
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #26
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does the big M on the front of the bumper stand for money?
Unread 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
AK99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What about adding a engine roll bar and comp stinger to the list? I think a bumper with a engine roll bar and comp stinger will be very affective and not only look good but protect the jeep too.
AK99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #28
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alot better. A much better design. I am glad you guys didn't get too offended by the comments and actually put them to work. This one is a bumper that I would invest in.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I definitely agree with the Radiator Hoop / Stinger combo. I would think that it would have to be welded together but you might be able to use bolt on supports for it that way it would be interchangeable with the different size stinger/winch guards you offer. Also I don't know if this would be at all possible but maybe you could also try to figure out a way to recess the winch into the bumper so that they do not block the grill so much. I've seen this done with a few different bumpers and it really makes it look clean.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Much better looking product. While the modular concept is obviously not for everyone, it is different and permits the buyer to get exactly the features he/she is looking for. The market is flooded with welded black powdercoated bumpers so it is nice to see another avenue.

I applaud your ability and willingness to accept customer feedback and completely overhaul your product to meet many of the requests of the potential user. A very basic but mostly ignored facet of customer service these days. Two thumbs up.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.