“Thank you sir, may we have another.” - The Saga of the MetalCloak Frame Built Bumper - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > “Thank you sir, may we have another.” - The Saga of the MetalCloak Frame Built Bumper

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 05-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #151
BucketOKarma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, it looks like i'll be getting the 52" for now, and if you guys decide to come out with something new, or I feel that my bumper needs to be significantly shorter, I'll just get a different set of caps and swap them out! (Still hoping for a 48" set though)

As for the roller fairlead, my bad, I guess I didn't read the post right.

At any rate, it looks like MetalCloak is a go on my jeep, now it's just making one that fits my taste and budget!

www.MilitaryJeepers.com
http://groups.jeepforum.com/CT_Jeeps
www.SiSOffroad.com

Last edited by BucketOKarma; 05-03-2010 at 12:15 AM..
BucketOKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #152
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Can anyone post pictures of the 20" mid stinger compared to the 26" full stinger? I'd love to see a straight side shot, and a straight head on shot.

Debating between both options and not sure what to go with.
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #153
hawk3ye
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the mid length 20" stinger with hoop combo...so just imagine it without the hoop

Bay Area JP Club
hawk3ye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #154
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

I think that is perfect actually! It still goes to the top of the hood and it's not overkill.

Thank you!
Unread 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #155
hawk3ye
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You're welcome. I didn't want an "overkill" stinger either and I honestly didnt see it coming into use until my trip to the dunes over the weekend...I actually went down a dune (stupid choice on my part) at a steep enough angle to scrape that bumper so yeah, I really give this item a huge for possibly saving my stupid ***

Bay Area JP Club
hawk3ye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #156
Metalcloak
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk3ye View Post
You're welcome. I didn't want an "overkill" stinger either and I honestly didnt see it coming into use until my trip to the dunes over the weekend...I actually went down a dune (stupid choice on my part) at a steep enough angle to scrape that bumper so yeah, I really give this item a huge for possibly saving my stupid ***
Definitely the quote of the month!!!!
Metalcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #157
brkeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketOKarma View Post
Well, it looks like i'll be getting the 52" for now, and if you guys decide to come out with something new, or I feel that my bumper needs to be significantly shorter, I'll just get a different set of caps and swap them out! (Still hoping for a 48" set though)

As for the roller fairlead, my bad, I guess I didn't read the post right.

At any rate, it looks like MetalCloak is a go on my jeep, now it's just making one that fits my taste and budget!
I got the 52" High Slider caps with the winch guard and black roller fair lead bracket. Got mine installed today and my friend already wants one. Got mine for $400 on sale, as far as I'm concerned it's the best deal in town.

brkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #158
Metalcloak
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just for Jeep Forum Members the Four Day Sale is Now A FIVE DAY SALE.... START SAVING ON THURSDAY, MAY 27!!!

Save an extra 5% off of our already 10% Just Because Sale!

Just use special Jeep Forum COUPON CODE: MemorialPJ10

This is a 5 DAY sale only and when its OVER, its OVER! Thursday, May 27 - Monday, May 31.

That's 10% Off Store-Wide + An Extra 5% When you Use your Coupon Code!

IMPORTANT: Memorial Sale is Good for ONLINE ORDERING ONLY

There is no better time than now to get your MetalCloak products!

Questions about pricing? Or About Your Build? Just call Matson at 916-631-8071.
Metalcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #159
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Always striving to add new parts and meet your needs, we just released our Steering Skid Kit for the TJ & LJ.

Made of 3/16" Hot Rolled Steel and finished with our Premium 3-Stage Black Textured Powdercoat, it is another product from MetalCloak we hope will meet your needs and exceed your expectations.

MetalCloak Jeep Steering Skid Plate

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #160
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

woot got mine ordered
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #161
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

The website has over 40 Frame Built Bumper Configurations now posted! (Only 700 more to go!)

MetalCloak TJ/LJ/YJ Frame Built(TM) Modular Bumpers Configurations

For those of you who have named configurations, we are re-doing that section of the site and will be putting it back up soon.

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #162
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey, did the skid plate get sent in a different box?
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #163
BucketOKarma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sooo... My bumper came in a few days ago. I couldn't wait so I laid out all the parts to look at what I would be working with.

brkeep: This might look familiar... I thought I was going to be the only one with this set-up. I did go for the alum base and upper shackle points, but everything seems the same to me.

Then I refused to wait any longer, and decided to remove my front bumper. The bottom two bolts were stock and came out in the normal way (a good tug to break it free and then smooth sailing). Trying to take the top bolts out was a different story. On the first page I think I mentioned that I got some tow hooks from Tractor Supply Company, I needed hardware to instal the hooks too, and they came with bolts, so I figured "sweet".... CHEAP BOLTS! every one of them broke! I do not have the skills, tools, or patience necessary, to get them out without destroying the threading in the frame (needed in order to mount the bumper). So for three days my jeep sat like this:

I talked to my old man, and he said he would help/teach me how to get the bolts out, but not much more (my dad is of the mindset of "Teach a man to fish" vs. "Give a man a fish"). So, many hours later, we got the front two bolts out through the heat/cool/heat/extractor bit/cool/twist method.... but we ended up needing to chisel the other two out while red hot. They were welded with rust so much that there was no way to separate them, even after we chisled them out with the nutserts still attached. We ended up welding two nuts together and using those in place of the nutserts we had to remove.
We then needed to remove the winch from the steel plate that came of the XJ (Warn M8000). Not too much of a problem, the previous owner welded one of the bolts to the plate on the underside. Not a problem, we just used a surface grinder and ground the bolt off, then got a replacement bolt.

Just a pic of the winch still on the plate:

The rest of the assembly and fitment of the bumper was perfect. If it weren't for my use of cheap bolts for my first tow hooks, this job would have been from box to completely installed in under two and a half hours, and I'm not mechanically inclined at all!
The bumper lined up with everything, and the instructions were easy enough that my wife understood them (she generally doesn't understand much about vehicular maintenance). All said and done, with eight bolts holding directly on to the frame, and everything tight and snug, this bumper is not going anywhere!

The finished product:

www.MilitaryJeepers.com
http://groups.jeepforum.com/CT_Jeeps
www.SiSOffroad.com
BucketOKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #164
Jeepineer

Excellent job on the install!!! You picked a great build for your jeep...it looks great!
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #165
brkeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
brkeep: This might look familiar... I thought I was going to be the only one with this set-up. I did go for the alum base and upper shackle points, but everything seems the same to me.
It looks identical. You have very good taste. Breaking a couple of my bolts loose took me several hours, luckily I didn't run into the problem you had with them. It looks great on your Jeep. I put a Warn Powerplant on mine today.

brkeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.