Which synthetic winch rope?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Which synthetic winch rope??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #31
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Kool guys, I swapped out the MetalCloak Fairlead with a standard braket, and will be getting a AL fairlead for it. This will be so the combo will work better with the saftey thimble. Gonna order the line in a few weeks.

BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #32
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dont mean to change the topic but what are the advantages to the thimble and did mrblain invent it? Is so thats B A

I have a smittybuilt xrc winch with synthetic line. I know not warn but works awesomely. Pulled a chevy 2500 out of a snowy ditch without hesitation.
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #33
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
Dont mean to change the topic but what are the advantages to the thimble and did mrblain invent it? Is so thats B A
-The safety thimble can not be pulled through a fairlead like a hook can, minimizing the possibility of crushing your hand or damaging the fairlead that could lead to a winch line failure in the future.

-It is much lighter than a steel hook. The synthetic line coupled with the safety thimble is very light. This makes it safer because if a strap breaks or connection point fails, the aluminum thimble has very little mass to snap back at you.

-The safety thimble is also a closed connection as opposed to a hook which is open on one side. Even though the hooks have a spring latch to keep them hooked up it is not load bearing where as the thimble essentially has two sides carrying the load vs. one (think of it as a "J" for the hook and a "O" for the thimble). The load on a standard hook is trying to open it up and straighten it out and hooks have failed before. I like to think it's safer to keep all closed connections in the rigging so that there is less chance of something coming apart.

As for Blaine inventing it, I believe I read somewhere that he had a hand in the design of the safety thimble. It doesn't surprise me in the least
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #34
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you take a look at the hole in the safety thimble, you will see a tapered hole that is made to be put on a standard tow hook and lock down. So a d ring is not needed for cars with built in tow hooks.

I use one.
It seems that the main reason to go syn is safety(although the extra pull capacity is sweet). The safety thimble is the next step.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks For the info
I decided to pay the extra $100 and get the synthetic because I had heard they were safer and it makes sense.
Can a thimble be put onto line that already has a hook?

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #36
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
Can a thimble be put onto line that already has a hook?
Yep. IIRC the thimble comes with instructions for splicing it on to the line. It was very easy. Thimble much nicer than having a hook.
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #37
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well now I have another thing thing to add to the endless list of Jeep Wants

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
3.5" Sus Lift

Unread 05-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #38
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not that it applies to the OP, but 100' of 3/8" Viking w/rock guard fits fine on my 9.5ti. The biggest concern with rope over 80' is if you're sidepulling somewhat and the rope starts bunching up on one side of the drum.

Just waiting for AJ's bumper to come in so I can mount this thing. And I'm not really worried about about any part of the end or my hand going through the tiny hawse opening.

PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Not that it applies to the OP, but 100' of 3/8" Viking w/rock guard fits fine on my 9.5ti. The biggest concern with rope over 80' is if you're sidepulling somewhat and the rope starts bunching up on one side of the drum.
The problem is that many pulls will be off to the side and that can present nearly insurmountable problems when you have so much rope on the winch that when it bunches on one side, it can physically break the winch and there's nothing you can do about it in some situations except to stop winching.

I was on the trail 3-4 months ago with the factory 100' wire rope on a new winch before swapping on 80' of 3/8" Viking synthetic and I got into a situation where I was the wincher for about 8-10 vehicles. The problem was that I was at an angle and being in the rocks, I couldn't reposition to make it a straight pull. Neither was there a way to connect a strap and a snatch block to make it a centered pull.

Each retrieval was agonizing and it actually ended up damaging the support rods because I couldn't prevent the wire rope from bunching up. Each time it bunched up, I had to stop winching to redistribute the rope on the winch so it wouldn't bust the case or grind through the support rods. We had every option available to us... Jeeps next to me with winches, straps, snatch blocks, but none could be used... I was stuck with an off-angle pull and each new vehicle made me wonder if we'd get 'em up the rock waterfall without breaking the winch from the rope piling up on one side.

So just because a rope "fits" doesn't mean it's not too long for the winch. I'm even wondering if my 80' of 3/8" synthetic may be a little too long for my Warn 9.5 XP.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #40
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I only have 80' of 5/16" on my M8000. I was worried about too much bunching up on the ends in a side pull as well as trying to keep my winch in the power zone. Your winch will pull harder if you are only 1-2 wraps on the drum versus 4-5 wraps. In case I need more line I also went with a 50' extension. Food for thought.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #41
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The problem is that many pulls will be off to the side and that can present nearly insurmountable problems when you have so much rope on the winch that when it bunches on one side, it can physically break the winch and there's nothing you can do about it in some situations except to stop winching.

I was on the trail 3-4 months ago with the factory 100' wire rope on a new winch before swapping on 80' of 3/8" Viking synthetic and I got into a situation where I was the wincher for about 8-10 vehicles. The problem was that I was at an angle and being in the rocks, I couldn't reposition to make it a straight pull. Neither was there a way to connect a strap and a snatch block to make it a centered pull.

Each retrieval was agonizing and it actually ended up damaging the support rods because I couldn't prevent the wire rope from bunching up. Each time it bunched up, I had to stop winching to redistribute the rope on the winch so it wouldn't bust the case or grind through the support rods. We had every option available to us... Jeeps next to me with winches, straps, snatch blocks, but none could be used... I was stuck with an off-angle pull and each new vehicle made me wonder if we'd get 'em up the rock waterfall without breaking the winch from the rope piling up on one side.

So just because a rope "fits" doesn't mean it's not too long for the winch. I'm even wondering if my 80' of 3/8" synthetic may be a little too long for my Warn 9.5 XP.

My support rods also have a few gouges in them from the cable bunching. I actually saw a spot on the power wire where the steel cable rubbed them. Woulda been bad news had the winch cable been electrified...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.