Which synthetic winch rope?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Which synthetic winch rope??

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Coming from Masterpull, that's fine, but I wouldn't buy something branded as Amsteel or Dyneema coming from some random company on ebay.

Masterpull, Viking, Custom Splice and other rope vendors are on this forum and others that are more than willing to make great deals for forum members.

About that ebay link: Check out the thimble on both pics. One has the stainless and the other is a tube thimble. I'm definitely going with the tube thimble for strength. I've also heard the stainless thimbles can get crushed and fall out if you run into something, and that tube thimble isn't going anywhere unless the line breaks.

Unread 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would consider getting the safty thimble... but my metalcloak bumper has a built in fairlead and i dont think it would pair well. I was thinking about a hook, are the removable ones good?

BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

also, per custom splice's site, 100' of steel is good for 85' of 3/8ths synthetic. Any thoughts? Im guessing it would be safer to stick to 80'... this is all based on the M8000 btw
https://www.customsplice.com/conversiontable.html
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
I would consider getting the safty thimble... but my metalcloak bumper has a built in fairlead and i dont think it would pair well. I was thinking about a hook, are the removable ones good?

What incompatability could there be with safety thimble and your fairlead? The idea of the design of the thimble is that the base is big enough to stop it being pulled through any fairlead. I run mine on a hawse but have seen them on rollers also. I must be missing something as to what the potential issue is.
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #20
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
also, per custom splice's site, 100' of steel is good for 85' of 3/8ths synthetic. Any thoughts? Im guessing it would be safer to stick to 80'... this is all based on the M8000 btw
https://www.customsplice.com/conversiontable.html
You could get 85'. 80'-85' is not much of a difference. If you think about it, that 5' and probably 10' or more will most likely be out when using the winch (you never winch all the way in) so it's not going to be an issue. I just don't know if an additional 15-20' (like 100' of 3/8") would fit well on the M8000. You risk it filling up the winch to quickly when you do need to winch up close to whatever you're hooked too.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
What incompatability could there be with safety thimble and your fairlead? The idea of the design of the thimble is that the base is big enough to stop it being pulled through any fairlead. I run mine on a hawse but have seen them on rollers also. I must be missing something as to what the potential issue is.

Its not a traditional fairlead, so if I spooled it up against it, the front bumper is on a slant, it wouldnt just butt up against it.

i know, im probubly thinkin to far into this.. lol

I guess the best thing is the safety thimble, with a removable hook...
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Its not a traditional fairlead, so if I spooled it up against it, the front bumper is on a slant, it wouldnt just butt up against it.

i know, im probubly thinkin to far into this.. lol

I guess the best thing is the safety thimble, with a removable hook...
Seems to me there is enough give in the synthetic line that line would just bend a little and the thimble would butt up against the fairlead on the slant.

You don't put any hook in the safety thimble. Just use it like it is. If the vehicle you are recovering has hooks the thimble just fits of the hook. If you are connect to a d-ring (either on a vehicle or on a tree saver if pulling yourself out) just put the d-ring through the safety thimble. That's another part of the idea of the design is to minimize the number of connections in a recovery rigging so as to minimize potential failure points.
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the Safety Thimble recommendation, I don't miss a hook in the least. I keep a shackle through my Safety Thimble which works well for pretty much every winching situation I get into.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

so what happens when you run into a tow point that is closed, and you have a closed safety thimble? Do you just link the two points with an extra D-ring?
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I really like the orange line myself, since it's my favorite color. Everything on my Jeep is black or white, so a bright orange winch line would really stand out haha. Everyone has the blue, its so played out
This years orange is the new black. You Fashionista.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so what happens when you run into a tow point that is closed, and you have a closed safety thimble?
As mentioned several (!) times above and as you can see in my above photo in post #2, you simply use a shackle (aka D-ring).

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #27
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

looks like im gettin the safety thimble then lol
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have that fairlead on my Metalcloak bumper and have a safety thimble and I don't have any problems. It did scratch the paint a little but I'm not too worried about that.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been quite happy with the Viking 80' 3/8ths on an M8000. I don't use it as much as alot of hard-core jeep guys do, but when I do use it I never run into any problems. So far the rope seems to be alot more durable than I had initially thought.
Unread 05-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #30
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another M8000 w 80' of 3/8" Viking line here. I carry a 50' extension of 5/16 line, just in case. It's never left the bag.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.