Swing Away/Fold Down Rear Tire Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Swing Away/Fold Down Rear Tire Carrier

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Bobby_S
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Swing Away/Fold Down Rear Tire Carrier

Hey guys, (and gals)

I'm looking to build a tire carrier for the back of my YJ. I can't afford the ones by Smittybilt, Genright, or Quadratec. I also don't completely like the design of them. I would like to make a tire carrier that swings out and folds down. I drew a rough design of my plan in Sketchup. (See below) Do you guys think it would be strong enough to hold a 35" tire with aluminum rim? The main arm is 2" square tubing and the secondary arm underneath is 1" Square tubing. All flat stock except for the hinges is 1/4". The hinges are 1/2". The main bumper is 2"x4" Rectangular tubing.

Thanks

rear-bumper.jpg  
Bobby_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Bobby_S
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update!

Hey guys, just a quick update on the bumper design.
rear-bumper-2.jpg  
Unread 06-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
RARECJ8

Looks good. When I built my carrier designed it to open either left or right. Big help when accessing rear area when on a side hill. Good luck.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/s...rrier-1128388/

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Bobby_S
1995 YJ Wrangler 

jeepinhokie, i did read that thread before, and i might just go with that design because it was already done. Thanks though.
Unread 06-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Bobby_S
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Epiphany!

OK, so i was reading a thread on here about something (i forget) and all of a sudden i thought of a really good idea.

Swing away tire carriers are difficult to put the tire on, even if it's the stock tire. Fold down tire carriers are an inconvenience if you need easy access to the back often. So swing away/fold down tire carriers are the solution to this, but they take quite a bit of planning and design (and a fair bit of knowledge on fabricating). So i designed an (i think, correct me if it's not) original idea. So far on this forum, i have never heard of anyone making a tire carrier that can be all three different types: Swing down, swing away, and swing down/fold down. (Below are pictures of each different type, would have listed each individually but didn't know how).

With this design you can swing away the whole thing to access the back, and lock it at 90* and 180*, you can also swing it away, lock it in place, and then fold down to get the tire, or finally, if you're feeling strong (or lazy, depending on how you look at it) you can leave the carrier in place and just take the tire off the back.
rear-bumper-3.jpg  
genright-fold-down-tire-carrier.jpg

swing-away-tire-carrier.jpg

swing-away-fold-down-tire-carrier.jpg

Last edited by Bobby_S; 06-17-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Bobby_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.