Swerves all over the road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Swerves all over the road

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
h11ywood
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Swerves all over the road

Ok, Its my first jeep and first real offroad vehicle. It has a 3 inch lift Im told, but it looks a bit high for that. Though I wouldnt know.

The steering is obviously a bit sloppy but I dont think that is the only reason this jeep is all over the road. even at slow speeds it is hard to keep straight.

At high speeds it can be going straight (though that's not often) and suddenly veer off dangerously.

I'm not too familiar with suspensions. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should start checking for? Can the steering be tightened up? I was told that the sway bar might have been taken off for off-roading.

I got a guy that supposed to tell me how to do the alignment myself because most shops wont.

Glad to finally be a Jeep owner, but I'll likely be locked up for drunk driving soon.

h11ywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Best advice I can give is to get a helper, and have them turn the steering wheel wile you watch everything in the front end to see if there is any play in the steering linkage. You'll also want to pop the hood, and watch the steering shaft too.
If the steering box is worn, it can be adjusted, but doing so is usually just a temp. fix. And if you adjust it to tight, it'll cause the box to wear tha much faster.

It would probably be a good idea to raise the front end, and check your ball joints and wheel bearings too. To do this, raise the front end, and grab the tires at the 12 and 6-O-clock positions, and push/pull on the tire (or, place a bar under the tire, and try to lift). If it moves, you have worn ball joints or wheel bearings.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
h11ywood
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt think about the wheel bearings. Everything else looks tight but I still need to do some checks. Thanks muddy.
h11ywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Me, I'd take it to a good alignment shop and have them set it up..
zillla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alignment , lift kit advice , steering box play , suspension set-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.