Suspension Travel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Suspension Travel

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
goodtago
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Suspension Travel

Hey there, I'm new to this forum, and also new to owning a Jeep TJ. I have bought a 2003 Jeep TJ sport, with a 2.5" rough country spring lift kit in it. The rear shocks are no good anymore, and I have ordered new ones. The ones I ordered are 21.5" Extended, and 13.5" collapsed. When the Jeep is at a stand still the shocks are 15.5" Eye to Eye. I guess what I need to ask, is 2" enough up-travel for every day driving around town and highway? I will do some offroading, but for the most part it will be around town. OR do I need to get shorter shocks, so that the up and down travel are close to equal? Please help me understand this. Thank you in advance

-Jerry

goodtago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

More than likely the 2" will not be enough up travel.
Unread 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

how much space is the rear bumps. you do not want the shock to become the bump stop.
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

2" is not enough uptravel.

You want at least 4" for a comfortable ride around town.

Do you still have 2.5" of lift from the RC springs? Sounds like they may have sagged a little. If you measure the rear springs with the Jeep sitting at ride height, do they measure around 10.5"?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
goodtago
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
2" is not enough uptravel. You want at least 4" for a comfortable ride around town. Do you still have 2.5" of lift from the RC springs? Sounds like they may have sagged a little. If you measure the rear springs with the Jeep sitting at ride height, do they measure around 10.5"?
I measured the rear spring and it is only sitting about 9.75". Because if this should I try for shorter springs to get more up travel? The bumps have way too long of a gap, they're measuring roughly 6". Any thoughts from here? The shocks I have ordered, and only 2" of up travel, are bilstein and have total travel of 8". The next size smaller only have 6" of travel. If I put the smaller ones in, then I would have more up travel, but not as much down travel. Thanks for all of the help this far!!
goodtago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtago View Post
I measured the rear spring and it is only sitting about 9.75". Because if this should I try for shorter springs to get more up travel? The bumps have way too long of a gap, they're measuring roughly 6". Any thoughts from here? The shocks I have ordered, and only 2" of up travel, are bilstein and have total travel of 8". The next size smaller only have 6" of travel. If I put the smaller ones in, then I would have more up travel, but not as much down travel. Thanks for all of the help this far!!
Shorter springs will give you less room for uptravel.

Your bumpstops need extended. It sounds like they were left alone when the lift was put on.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.