Suspension Problems: Do I need to wash my jeep with gasoline and dry it with a match? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Suspension Problems: Do I need to wash my jeep with gasoline and dry it with a match?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
AKBB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension Problems: Do I need to wash my jeep with gasoline and dry it with a match?

Howdy everyone,

I am the proud driver and owner of a 1994 Jeep Cherokee ST 4x4 with a I4 engine. My little cheap jeep has been my daily driver for two years going from Palmer Alaska to Anchorage 5/7 days a week, 60 miles one way. Recently I noticed that the rear passenger side has been bottoming out, to the point that the tire is grinding against the wheel well, when I have a passenger in the vehicle or any decent amount of weight in the back.

I have replaced all the shocks, the tire size is 235/75R15, and now the passenger rear end is only bottoming out and tire grinding when I am going about 55 mph+ and hit any type of pothole or road divot, with someone riding shotgun or any decent amount of weight in back. Everything underneath looks good, no cracks in the leaf springs, leafs are a bit straight (maybe worn?) but its only the right side doing this.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on here that would result in one side bottoming out to the point of tire grinding. I only ask because I am tired, have been trying to wrap my head around this for 5 days (without ******* over 400 dollars for new leaf springs and these are the cheap ones too! . I am really at the point where the idea of washing my jeep with gasoline and drying it with a match seems like a reasonable solution.

Please help before this idea becomes a reality.

AKBB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You are most-likely going to need new rear leafs. What do your rear leaf springs look like? Sagging rear leafs is very common, especially for a 20-year old vehicle.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you need some new leafs to me. If they seem straight with normal weight they are surely a bit worn.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
AKBB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I guess I will just have to bite the bullet on this one and give the leafs a try. Might be a week or so before the project is ready to be done and gets done. Things are so expensive up here in Alaska, LOL.
AKBB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know much about about Cherokees but in the YJ world they just get a spring set from an S-10 and it works just fine. Maybe someone on the Cherokee boards can help you out. Cheap in the JY and most have never had a full load on them so they have pretty good arch still left in them. Might be worth a try before winter sets in.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

You could also try a set of Add-a-Leafs (overload springs) for a cheaper, temporary fix until you can afford a set of new leaf springs.
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
GilbertF

You should have properly check the suspension parts( springs both sides, tie or strut bars) i think something is wrong in suspension. Go through this store if your car need any parts : http://www.360tuners.com/loweringspringsandparts.aspx
GilbertF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cracks in leaf springs are not always visible.
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
I dont know much about about Cherokees but in the YJ world they just get a spring set from an S-10 and it works just fine. Maybe someone on the Cherokee boards can help you out. Cheap in the JY and most have never had a full load on them so they have pretty good arch still left in them. Might be worth a try before winter sets in.
Yup I might have found a couple leaf springs for you in Wasilla junk yard for $90

http://car-part.com is your friend. Bookmark it or add it to favorites.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
leaf springs , shock absorber , suspension , tire rubbing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.