Superwinch EPi9.0 or Warn 9.5ti - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Superwinch EPi9.0 or Warn 9.5ti

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Superwinch EPi9.0 or Warn 9.5ti

I have got my winch choices narrowed down to Superwinch EPi9.0 or Warn 9.5ti. I will not be rock crawling. I go through mud, and when the flood comes from the hurricanes, I go through water. Basically, the JK is going to be a hurricane ready vehicle. My main requirement is getting a winch that will hold up in salt water. I know it's electric and no electric winch is really water proof. Some are more water resistant to others though. It also gets very hot down here, so heat might be another factor for me. I don't care about speed because I will never be in a hurry winching and will not be racing or doing any other competition.

I made a chart in excel that I did a screen capture of to show comparisons of popular winches. The prices are rough and I have seen some of these models priced and higher and lower than what the chart shows, but the prices are about average. $599 + shipping is the lowest I found on the Superwinch and on the Warn 9.5ti, the lowest I found was $975 with free shipping. To me these two models are very close in performance. I am leaning towards the superwinch because it draws less current than the Warn. It's also substantially cheaper. On the other hand, Warn is the more dominant brand. I thought about going hydraulic, but decided not to and do not intend to discuss that further.

Unread 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i'm pretty anti-hydraulic but in all honesty, i think hydro woudl be your best bet....

salt water shouldn't be a major concern unless you plan to drive in the ocean.... sea spray is the only salt water that will get onto the winch otherwise, and you could easily rinse it off, or let mother nature do it with a rain storm. i WD-40 my entire winch everytime i wash the jeep and everytime i head to the beach or a 4 wheeling trip..... that helps quite a bit.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

So which of the two? I'm having trouble posting the chart today for some reason even though the file size is within the limitations.
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

open it up.... hit print screen...... go to ms paint...... click edit... paste..... file.... save...... and post that screen shot
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to bring it up but I grew up in a small South LA town near Erath and if I were still there I would seriously consider the hydraulic winches. I had one and recently switched to an electric because of the wheeling I'm doing but in the mud and for real work (non recovery) you can't beat the hydraulic winch... it's as close to waterproof as it gets as well. My old mile marker hydro is in my garage and I might let my Dad have it for his truck because they're also in the hurricane zone.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

try Redrock4x4.com for the superwinch. It's 590 shipped.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
hineyman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Warn's are more money, but they're warranted for life
hineyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I almost went hydraulic, but I came across a great deal on the Warn. Brand new in the box Warn 9.5ti $800 + $45 shipping. I figure, with that kind of price, it's hard to go wrong.
Unread 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
msavard
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hineyman
Warn's are more money, but they're warranted for life
I believe Superwinch just upped the ante and has a better warranty than warn now.
Lifetime mechanical
3yr Solenoid
1yr parts

I think it was mentioned in the comments to the Moab Jeeper shootout.
4.0L Auto 35" Maxxis Bighorns D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift JKS Trackbars Brown Dog MML 1" BL Warn Engine Skid Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) SYE/CV Nth Adj Control Arms Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier PSC Rocker Knockers ORO Swayloc TNT Tube Fenders

MIDSOUTH JEEP CLUB > Jeepers from TN, AR, MS, and KY
msavard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.