JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Superwinch EPi9.0 Installed (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/superwinch-epi9-0-installed-457510/)

SuperWade2 09-02-2007 11:53 AM

Superwinch EPi9.0 Installed
 
Got my new Superwinch EPi9.0 Installed over the past day or two. I didn't do a real good job at winding the new Synthetic Rope, but will redo it before I go out next time...Was my first time Winding any cable/rope into a winch...

http://www.leishman.net/Photos/Jeep/...e/IMG_2335.jpg
http://www.leishman.net/Photos/Jeep/...e/IMG_2339.jpg

SW2

JeepMKcomin 09-02-2007 12:26 PM

You will not be disappointed with it. I have about 6 or 7 pulls on mine now and am very happy with it. Looks like a better wind job that I usually do.

SuperWade2 09-02-2007 09:15 PM

I forgot to give props to RedRock4x4 for a quick turn around on my order... Ordered on a Saturday, and had the winch on my door on Wednesday (order confirmed and shipped on Monday)...

Jason answered a bunch of my questions a couple months ago about the Superwinch as well...Was VERy VERY helpful!

I was originally going to buy from Amazon.Com, as they were about $30 cheaper at the time (since raised their price)... so I'm glad that I can support one fo the JF Vendors (again!)

Wade

mrblaine 09-03-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperWade2
Got my new Superwinch EPi9.0 Installed over the past day or two. I didn't do a real good job at winding the new Synthetic Rope, but will redo it before I go out next time...Was my first time Winding any cable/rope into a winch...

http://www.leishman.net/Photos/Jeep/...e/IMG_2335.jpg
http://www.leishman.net/Photos/Jeep/...e/IMG_2339.jpg

SW2

You have exceptional taste in thimbles.

SuperWade2 09-03-2007 08:48 AM

...only the "BEST" for my Rig....

MtnHighTJ 09-03-2007 10:58 AM

I've been checking out the Superwinch 9000 from RedRock4x4, good price and free shipping, anyway was wondering if you bought your winch w/out wire since you went with the synthetic line. If so was it any cheaper?

SuperWade2 09-03-2007 11:13 AM

Nope, I just unspooled the Steel Cable first thing and installed the new Synthetic. I installed 90' of 3/8" with the Safety Thimble and Line Protector from Winchline, purchased from David @ Northridge4x4.

I think there will be guys in my local club that I can sell the Steel Cable to help offset a little bit of the Synthetic Cost.

Wade

Arcticcat843 09-03-2007 11:58 AM

If you dont mind me asking, how much was the line and hook thing alone?

I am looking at the same winch and i dont know if i shoudl jus torder it strait from winchlin.com with the rope on it or if i should order the winch from one place and the rope from another.

The want 799 for that winch with the 3/8 rope.

Also, do you know what the difference is between the EP9000 andthe EPI9000 besides the bar across the top?

SuperWade2 09-03-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticcat843
If you dont mind me asking, how much was the line and hook thing alone?

I am looking at the same winch and i dont know if i shoudl jus torder it strait from winchlin.com with the rope on it or if i should order the winch from one place and the rope from another.

The want 799 for that winch with the 3/8 rope.

Also, do you know what the difference is between the EP9000 andthe EPI9000 besides the bar across the top?

Right @ $240 for 90' 3/8" with Safety Thimble from Northrdige4x4 and the Winch was $590 from RedRock4x4... so $830... I looked at the Winchline.Com combo also and I didn't see an option for the Saftey Thimble (although maybe if you called)... So basically the Same $$$ if you upgraded to the Safety Thimble... I'm not sure if Winchline.Com does Free Shipping or not but both Northridge4x4 and Redrock4x4 did, so that might also be a consideration.

I'm not sure that Winchline is a JF vendor, but I know that NR4x4 and RR4x4 surely are, so I like to support them whenever I can.

As far as the differences, here is a reply from Jason @ RedRock sent a while back in answer to the same question.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason from Redrock4x4
Hi Wade,

The difference is the integrated solenoid pack/bridge on the EPi9.

You can see the control box to left side of the EP9:

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/2230.html

This bolts to the winch, or you could unbolt it and chose to mount it somewhere else (longer cables may be required). The reason for the separate control box is for a lower profile winch, this winch fits much better in certain truck bumpers where the winch is really hidden behind the bumper.
Some Jeep owners like this style and chose to extend the cables and mount the control box under the hood to keep it hidden.

The control box is where the winch remote plugs into, I should clarify.

On the EPi9:

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/2229.html

All of the wiring is built into the bridge that runs above the winch. The winch controller plugs right into the side of the bridge.

As you can see the EPi9 is a little taller, and blocks a little more airflow, but it really hasn't been an issue on my TJ. Personally I think it looks a little cleaner and that's why I went with it.

Really I would go off of looks, unless you have a compelling reason to keep the control box separate. Most people base their decision off which one looks better to them. Our mechanic runs the EP9 because he wanted to keep as much airflow open to the radiator as possible. I run the EPi9 because I like the looks better, and I wasn't concerned about airflow.

Also worth mentioning, for some reason, the EPi comes with 125' of cable, where as the EP only has 100'. We can't determine why they did this, or whether the EP9 could fit 125' too (it looks like it), but that's how they come from Superwinch.

In regards to the WARN, I think Superwinch has a better product (compare the stats on our website), and they've proven to be a much easier company for us to work with.

Let me know if you're interested in ordering, or if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Jason Shields
801.566.ROCK (7625)
jshields@redrock4x4.com
http://www.redrock4x4.com

Wade

Arcticcat843 09-03-2007 03:03 PM

I sent redrock a pm.......one more question.....Why did you pick superwinch over warm? Also how come you only got 90 foot of line? Is that all that will fit?

SuperWade2 09-03-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticcat843
I sent redrock a pm.......one more question.....Why did you pick superwinch over warm? Also how come you only got 90 foot of line? Is that all that will fit?

I picked SW over Warn because

1) Price
2) Lower Amp Draw
3) Winch-shoot out in Moab - SW got favorable results (and would have won had their new warranty been in place when the did it)
4) SW Warranty now basically the same as Warn
5) Price Again (I got the Winch and Synthetic Rope for the same price as a Warn with Steel Cable)

I have NO Doubts that Warn is a GREAT product with a great reputation, and they have been doing that for a long long time. Most of the guys in the club meetings I have been too run Warn and swear by them. For me I think with Warn you are paying extra for the name, and I see myself being a light Winch User, vs. a heavy daily user, so I decided the SuperWinch was for me.

As far as the 90' of Synthetic, I heard/read that the 100' 3/8" Rope would be "tight, but possible" on the EPi9.0, especially with the line protector, so I decided to go with 10' less and make sure I could wind it up easily and I can carry extenstions if I need it.

Hope this helps
Wade

andy02 09-03-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperWade2
I picked SW over Warn because

1) Price
2) Lower Amp Draw
3) Winch-shoot out in Moab - SW got favorable results (and would have won had their new warranty been in place when the did it)
4) SW Warranty now basically the same as Warn
5) Price Again (I got the Winch and Synthetic Rope for the same price as a Warn with Steel Cable)

I have NO Doubts that Warn is a GREAT product with a great reputation, and they have been doing that for a long long time. Most of the guys in the club meetings I have been too run Warn and swear by them. For me I think with Warn you are paying extra for the name, and I see myself being a light Winch User, vs. a heavy daily user, so I decided the SuperWinch was for me.

As far as the 90' of Synthetic, I heard/read that the 100' 3/8" Rope would be "tight, but possible" on the EPi9.0, especially with the line protector, so I decided to go with 10' less and make sure I could wind it up easily and I can carry extenstions if I need it.

Hope this helps
Wade

For those of you that haven't seen the article, you can read it here: http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

I was one of the testers but unfortunatly the winch I was testing was a DNF.

SuperWade2 09-03-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy02
For those of you that haven't seen the article, you can read it here: http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

I was one of the testers but unfortunatly the winch I was testing was a DNF.

Maybe you know... I wanted to get to the Tester Comments and Testing Results via the links at the bottom of that article. Those, and the SW/Warn Comments links all get "Problem Loading Page"...

Do you know if these are posted somewhere, or who I might be able to ask about the dead links...

Thanks
Wade

andy02 09-03-2007 08:30 PM

Try this:
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=364 :2thumbsup:

And I'll get the link fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.


Edit: Seems that none of the links are working there, here are the other portions:

Comments from Warn: http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=373

Comments from SuperWinch: http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=374

The Numbers: http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=365

midnight_f150 11-01-2011 09:06 PM

Hey wade I know this is a old thread but do you still have and use your SW? If so how is it holding up wade?


The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.