SuperFlow MV-90 12V Air Compressor (Review) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > SuperFlow MV-90 12V Air Compressor (Review)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

SuperFlow MV-90 12V Air Compressor (Review)

After a lot of reading and trips to the air pump after wheeling I decided I would stop saving my pennies for a $500 ARB Twin Air Compressor and look for alternatives. My Goals were simple as Much CFM and Power as I could get in a 12 volt package for less than 500 bucks. There are a few options out there but I landed on the SuperFlow MV-90 as it had the right combination and a palatable price tag. I ordered mine from lowrangeoffroad.com for $131.50 plus $30.24 shipping (Its a solid 20 Lbs).

It arrived about a week after I ordered it.

First thing to note is that this is bigger than I expected which will make phase two of this project a little more of a challenging. I have to find a place to mount this and not burn precious cab space.

Some other observations.
  • It seems well made the wires are pretty thick, the alligator clips for the battery are pretty beefy and the fit and finish is good.
  • Heat doesn't seem to be such an issue with a heat shield that acts as the handle and a thick length of hose that leads up to the coiled hose. This is likely to keep the hose from getting damaged from heat.
  • A base plate with the compressor mounted to rubber feet keep the noise down although it is a compressor and still loud.
  • A dust cover over the power switch is a nice touch but makes it hard to turn on and off if you have sausage fingers like me.

So the test.

Given that the last little craftsman compressor wouldn't air up a bike tire without overheating and blowing a fuse I decided to test this from 0 PSI to 45 PSI. Mind you the normal air up would be from 12 PSI to ~40 PSI but I wanted to see worst case. I set my hand thottle up 2 clicks which raised the RPM to ~1200

0 PSI

Airing up

45 PSI

And the size of the compressor in its bag.

The Verdict.

So from 0-45 PSI 6 Minutes and 2 Seconds.

Overall for the money I am very happy.

For phase 2, I Ordered a tank, pressure switch, check valve, relay, and circuit breaker to mount this on board and have a 120 PSI on tap. I'll post that up in a separate article once I get everything in.

Phase 3, Air Horn!

Unread 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the smaller MV 50 and I am happy with it. I used to have CO2 but it was too much of a hassle to get refills, although it was much faster.

Do you really ride with your tires at 45psi?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

+1 on the MV 50, mine works great for my 31's and takes about 2-3 minutes per tire to go from 10 to 32 LBS. It is small and compact and for me just the ticket.
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I run mine at ~40 PSI. I chalked them a while back and that's the right pressure for them.
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am going to have a bracket made up and mount it here.

That may not be the final orientation but thats the location for sure. The bracket will be hinged so it can swing out of the way of the battery and the unit will mount to rubber stops to keep vibration down. More to come...
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

got the tank today!

Unread 01-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkap View Post
got the tank today!

where will you mount that?

Unread 01-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

why did you raise the RPM's? lol it's only a 12v compressor not some huge OBA setup...
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
why did you raise the RPM's? lol it's only a 12v compressor not some huge OBA setup...
It makes a big difference on how the compressor operates, even on a smaller 12 volt compressor.

Unread 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm weird....I have the exact same compressor....never noticed a difference when doing mine...don't even need the jeep running when you use those...
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Hmm weird....I have the exact same compressor....never noticed a difference when doing mine...don't even need the jeep running when you use those...
I have the smaller MV 50 and it makes a difference with that one. I have a hand throttle so I set my RPMS to about 1500.

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It does help the compressor run faster and keep the power coming from the alternator instead of draining down your battery. A great and bigger example of this is when you are winching. Mind you the winch is going to pull more amps than the compressor but still the compressor draw is around 40-45 amps which is significant.

The tank will go inder the jeep on the drivers side slightly behind the drivers seat. (I think)
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is that compressor to big for the ABS tray or do you have ABS/something already there? I am looking for a decent OBA solution so I will follow this to see what all you end up doing.....

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
It kind of does look too big to fit in the ABS tray.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I tried to shoehorn it in the ABS tray but it wouldnt fit unless I took it apart and even then it would be very tight and rub some lines. I didn't feel good about it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.