Superchargers...what do you guys think about 'em? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Superchargers...what do you guys think about 'em?

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 04-28-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Superchargers...what do you guys think about 'em?

I dunno, ladies and gents, I've heard pros and cons, but for some reason, after a K&N, bored throttle body, cat back exhaust, and other goodies-then add a supercharger-310hp doesn't sound so bad...what do you guys think?

Unread 04-28-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

Im guessing your talking about the avenger super charger as far as i know they are the only ones that still make them for jeeps. They quoted me a price and it was 3995 +500 for install or u can do it yourself. That is a lot of money for that much power when you could buy a nice motor that gives you more options. Ex: 350 lots of after market parts for them and you could get more than 300hp out of one.
FanAholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
foreverjeepin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Re: Superchargers...what do you guys think about 'em?

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterCujo
I dunno, ladies and gents, I've heard pros and cons, but for some reason, after a K&N, bored throttle body, cat back exhaust, and other goodies-then add a supercharger-310hp doesn't sound so bad...what do you guys think?
JP magazine has an Avenger supercharger on their build-up jeep. Check out their website, they use to have information there about it. MasterCujo, I remember seeing this name on another site I use to visit.........

"LEAD TODAY OR BE LOST TOMORROW"
foreverjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
dooz
2009 JK Wrangler 

i just think jeeps are not intended for high speeds & racing.
dooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
tj-lover

im pretty sure vortec makes one as well if you are willing to spend the money it would be a pretty sweet mod...ive got a friend who is about to put one on a grand cherokee it will be interesting to see what it does while he is 4 wheeling
tj-lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It may be a bit expensive, but I've done a little research. If engine swapping is the thing to do, the best route that I have seen has been through turnkeyenginesupply.com. They provide turnkey engines for almost 6 grand. That's cool, but you add that with installation charges, not to mention getting the tranny I wanted(700R4), it would get pretty costly. From what I've been hearing, the supercharger is an easy install and uninstall, and you get somewhat of the power of a V8...
Unread 04-28-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
evilpsych

actually.. accurate power also makes one for the 4.0, and it even fits under the hood of a XJ, so fitting one under a Yj hood shouldnt be a problem..you should look at his also.. i know i'm looking at it really closely

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
RodeoRob

have you considered stoking your 4.0? you could have a reputable engine shop rebuild your current engine as a stoker for the cost of that supercharger i'd bet. since you'll be using the same engine, you won't have any of the problems associated with an engine swap (ie 350). I don't have any numbers to back it up, but it seems like a stroked 4.0 would produce more usuable offroad power than one on a blower. just something to think about.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2003, 02:35 PM   #9
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RodeoRob
have you considered stoking your 4.0? you could have a reputable engine shop rebuild your current engine as a stoker for the cost of that supercharger i'd bet. since you'll be using the same engine, you won't have any of the problems associated with an engine swap (ie 350). I don't have any numbers to back it up, but it seems like a stroked 4.0 would produce more usuable offroad power than one on a blower. just something to think about.

-Rob
I've checked that out, as well. accuratepower, hesco, and golenengineservice do the strokers. Golenengineservice does them for both the 4.0, and the older 4.2. I've heard some nasty things about the stroker, though. You get about 265hp out of it, but I hear it messes with engine reliability. Thing about the Supercharger is the fact that it mounts easily, and it can be taken off later-if I decide to sell the jeep-to put on another jeep.

One good plus I've heard about the stroker is it turns your Jeep into a torque monster...it adds like an extra 85lb/ft...
Unread 04-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
Gator

Quote:
It may be a bit expensive, but I've done a little research. If engine swapping is the thing to do, the best route that I have seen has been through turnkeyenginesupply.com. They provide turnkey engines for almost 6 grand. That's cool, but you add that with installation charges, not to mention getting the tranny I wanted(700R4), it would get pretty costly. From what I've been hearing, the supercharger is an easy install and uninstall, and you get somewhat of the power of a V8...
you need to shop around for better prices, find the donor vehicle that best suits your needs.. ANY 88-late 90's Chevy or Gmc 4x4 or Z71, pull the engine & tranny with wiring... you can find RUNNING TBI 350's all day long at Junkyards for 400 bucks you can find Th700R4's fairly cheap to... it all depends on where you look

for 3 grand... you can have a 400Hp SBC Th700R4 with a Aluminum Be Cool Radiator... rolling

altho the supercharger is nice... it doesnt come into affect until about 2500 Rpms tho... so its useless offroading basically

Why not do a cheaper route & just swap the cam in your 4.0, put 1 or 2 sizes larger RV cam in it.. it will give you extra low end tourque for offroad & extra power driving..

i wouldnt spend 3 grand on a Supercharger... one good slop hole & you dont have your engine bay baffled well enough & you inhale water/mud... there just went 3 grand down the tubes

the only way to get a turbo/supercharger to work offroad.. alot of gearing..down in the 150:1 crawl ratio range or lower

do a search on engine swaps & you'll find a ton of info

hell you can get running LS1's now for under a grand.. Why spend 6 grand on a turn key.. unless your have more money than brains..
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2003, 06:56 PM   #11
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator

hell you can get running LS1's now for under a grand.. Why spend 6 grand on a turn key.. unless your have more money than brains..
Brother, tell me where you can find a reliable LS1 for a grand. You're talkin' next gen LS1, right?

As far as the 2500 rpm kick-in, the supercharger is belt-fed, and I was told that it takes about 500rpm for the 'charger to kick in...
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:01 PM   #12
bob91yj

Strokers are reliable, there are no exotic parts in a stroker, unless you punch it out to 4.9L's, but that's an all out race motor. A stroker basically consists of a 258 crank and rods, 4.0L block, head and pistons.

If anything a force inducted motor would have more reliability problems, due to the added complexity of the blower/turbo.

Why do you need more horsepower anyway, just curious?
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:07 PM   #13
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running 35's now, and can keep up on the highway, but I'm looking for more low end and more overall horses-not only for the trail, but on the highway, as well.

On another thread, a friend o' mine went through Hesco and said that his stroker engine broke down on the way back from the Hesco garage. He was running the 4.6L stroker(NOT 4.7, like everyone says).
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:17 PM   #14
Gator

Quote:

Brother, tell me where you can find a reliable LS1 for a grand. You're talkin' next gen LS1, right?

As far as the 2500 rpm kick-in, the supercharger is belt-fed, and I was told that it takes about 500rpm for the 'charger to kick in...
first off, what gears are you running? you may just need to regear.

as far as the belt driven. I've driven several blower/supercharged vehicles.. all of them didnt kick in until 2 grand & above, the only way to get it to come in at lower rpms is underdrive the crap out of it

the past 3 swap meets i've went to, I've seen several Ls1's & by that & mean the all aluminum Z28 & Vette engines.. even seen a couple Z06 Ls1's... the vette engine sitting at 406 Hp was 1500 bucks with ECM & harness.. the rest were the 325Hp
cheapest i seen them were 800 bucks with Ecm & Harness
yrs anywhere from 99 to present.. or was it 00
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:22 PM   #15
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Those engines come with the tranny, harness, and computer?

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but you know that they make jeep exclusive s/c's, right?

In these blown cars you been driving, how many lbs of boost did they go off of?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.