super 35 kit vs.axle swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > super 35 kit vs.axle swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-06-2001, 11:41 AM   #16
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by I-4:
<STRONG>i,m still kinda hung up between axle swap and the super 35 kit.there are many pros and cons for each.if i had to choose right now,i'm kinda leaning toward the super 35 kit.call me crazy,but all the bigger eng. it will ever get is a 6.i just can't see breaking stuff every, weekend i play.(every other is my average for now! )
thankyou everybody for all your valuable input. </STRONG>
Based on my experience, I'd say that your best bet is to hold off doing either. Instead, buy some inexpensive spares and go wheeling. You can do an awful lot of wheeling on your stock axles. I did not know until Ray posted, that you cannot get spare shafts for the Superior Dana 35 kit. That being the case, I wouldn't go near it. You can pick up whole stock axle assemblies for a fraction of the cost of an upgrade, and you'll be prepared if anything does happen to go wrong. Much better off than having a beefed up 35 with no spares when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Don't even think about doing an axle swap until you know enough about axles that you're not asking others to make the decision for you. Nothing wrong with doing your research. But if you don't know enough to know what you need, you should stick with what you have until you're ready to make an informed decision.

osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2001, 08:10 PM   #17
I-4

i'm still just in the planning stage.gettin' all my ducks in a row.i'm want somethimg stronger because i've heard horror stories of people snapping the axle shafts in their 4 poppers.sure,some of it (most) is knowing your vehicles limits---i just am wanting to expand the mud wagons limits.how i'm doing my mods is really simple-as something breaks(and we all know things break when you are offroading)i beef it up.that way i can put my $ into something else next time!
Unread 09-10-2001, 09:15 PM   #18
Cody_91YJ

I-4, I was in your same situation for a while. Go for the 8.8 and you won't regret it.

I picked up my 8.8 with disks and 3.?? for $425, I got the stock ford yoke with the axle, and just bought a conversion u-joint.

If you sat your D35 next to an 8.8, you won't be able to believe you haven't broke the 35, or that you even considered keeping it. I just swapping the 8.8 this weekend, and I don't know how my D35 lasted 6 months with 35" tires.

Where are you in Texas??? There is a '97 Ford 8.8 here at the same yard I got mine in College Station
Unread 09-14-2001, 05:18 PM   #19
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cody_91YJ:
Do you have install pics? I may be looking at an axle swap in the shockingly-near future, and the 8.8 swap is looking good. I need to know if this is something that can be done easily or needs a professional touch though.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2001, 09:27 AM   #20
Cody_91YJ

Sorry, I didn't get any pics, I didn't have my digital camera on me at the time.

If you can weld, you can do it without a problem. You can even reuse the spring perches on the axle without cutting em off.

We filled/welded the hole in the 8.8 spring perch that the spring back bolt goes into, and then redrilled the holes. They were only about 1/4" off. If you get the flange on the 8.8 at the junkyard...then all you need is a conversion u-joint.

So, don't even mess with the MORE kit, you won't need it. I haven't gotten the shocks mounted yet, but for that I'm going to reuse the shock mounts on the Dana 35C.

I'll try and get some before and after pics in the next week or two
Unread 09-19-2001, 10:25 AM   #21
I-4

i'm in irving.i've been looking for a 8.8 with 4.10's already in it. have had some luck.my problem is i have to wait till it breaks before the mrs will let me "fix" it.disc breaks all the way around will be sweet!
Unread 09-23-2001, 12:17 PM   #22
Cody_91YJ

yea, the disk brakes themselves almost make it worth it alone. I've noticed a HUGE differance in the braking power. Now hopefully I'll be able to get it geared and locked to match the front in the next week or two.
Unread 10-12-2001, 03:41 PM   #23
kegmaster
1996 XJ Cherokee 

OK, first of all, a 9 inch or Dana 60 would just be the shizit...but since price and promptness are probably factors, go with a D44. 1)They came in Jeeps so finding one that is more or less bolt-up will be easy. 2)You can call Moser and get crazy spline count shafts , can't do that with a D35.
3) Superior makes a kit for the D44 just in case it is not strong enought for ya.
4) Who the hell brags about a Dana 35??????
Unread 10-13-2001, 08:52 PM   #24
bob91yj

I intend to put a D44 rear in my Jeep one of these days. I picked up a spare set of stock D35 axles for $50 from a local 4x4 shop. If you check around in your area you can probably find the same type of deal.

I'd reccommend carrying spare axles for any C-clip axle. If the axle shaft breaks and you don't have a spare, you're gonna be walking to find one.
Unread 10-14-2001, 08:36 AM   #25
JEEP_TJ_FREAK

8.8 is in my list

8.8" on the left, D35 on the right

shafts and side gears

carriers

HTH IMO the 8.8 is the only way to go until you wish to run 38" tires and have V8 power.
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
JEEP_TJ_FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2001, 09:15 AM   #26
jpwranglr9

I know most people rag on the D35 but it can be bultup for a reasonable cost and be a great axle. if you dont run huge tires and V8 power a 35 is a cheep axle to run. i fixed my 35's with Moser shafts, detroit locker, disk brakes, & a confer truss. This setup was great up to 33's and a I6 and 4.56. it was only when i went to 35's did i have any problems. so if you dont plan on going to 35's, the D35 can hold up fine (even hard use). If you do find a cheep axle better, no harm in picking it up for a later swop though. thats what i did and now the D44 is under the jeep and the D35 is up for sale with all its mods.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2001, 11:40 AM   #27
bob91yj

The money required to "upgrade" the D35 would be damn close to the price of an upgrade axle. An upgraded D35 is still a D35, small carrier, small gears, weak tubes, and the list goes on. Carry some stock spare axles and save for an upgrade IMO.
Unread 10-28-2001, 06:28 AM   #28
MCracco

Quote:
Originally posted by rayray:
I've been very happy with my super35 kit. With the exception of one thing. You can't get spares!!! Superior will not split up the "kit". I called Drivetrail Direct and they basically laughed when I asked for a spare. So I called Superior. They said that since the super 35 was a kit that they would not split it up. When I pushed a little more, they said they would check into it more and call back. They never did. Just a little FYI.
That would push me off the fence in the direction of the 8.8. Along the same line, if you do manage to break a shaft no one on the trail or in town will have a replacement either.

BTW, after selling off my D35 parts the 8.8 in my Grand cost around $850.
MCracco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.