Stubborn Torx Bolt on Cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Stubborn Torx Bolt on Cage

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 04-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Field88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stubborn Torx Bolt on Cage

OR Fab has a 'nice' bolt-on sport cage for the cab, sure, but in the process of installing it I ended up breaking a torx bolt...sort of...on the windshield mount where the stock bars join the central roll cage with the 2 torx bolts that bolt into the winshield.

The head is not stripped, and it swivels around loosely, but it cannot, I mean CANNOT seem to be wrenched out of the hole. When I reverse it out of the hole, the thread seems to catch on something, get stuck, and then go loose again. I tried to pry on it upwards with a flathead screwdriver while reversing it, but that failed. Should I drill it out? I mean, should I hold a vice clamp on it and drill it out? Will that work? Or is there something I don't know?

Thanks.

Field88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you need to use an easy out on it.

But you have to watch out with those because they either work, or break off in the bolt which leaves a nice harded chunk of steel that is practically impossible to drill through.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.