Stubborn Solenoids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Stubborn Solenoids

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 11-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Grand Fan 4eva

Stubborn Solenoids

I bought a used M8000 and it uses the old solenoid pack that uses the starter type solenoids. I tested the winch after i bought it and it worked alright but i decided to strip it down and rebuild it anyways. when i had it back together and mounted it, i tired it again but nothing happened. i used the motor check method and the motor works fine but the solenoids weren't clicking so i took the pack apart and cleaned up all the connections and replaced one solenoid. I put everything back together and tried it once more- no luck. the switch on the hand control seems a little "mushy" (it doesn't really "click"). not sure if thats how it's supposed to be. i was wondering if there was any way to splice the green/white/black controller wires to bypass the switch and see what the problem is. are there any other methods for testing the solenoids?
FWIW I contacted warn but they aren't open till monday and i'll be headed back to school by then. just wondering if anyone around here had any ideas/experience...
Thanks!

'97 XJ ~5" / 33 trxus / RK 3-link / FOA 12" CO's
'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Grand Fan 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Grand Fan 4eva

does anyone know if the solenoid box/ mount has to be grounded? i relocated mine under the hood and it's not grounded. i was thinking about it and there is no way to complete the control circuit for the solenoids without a ground... does that sound right? i'm guessing when it was mounted to the motor, the motor housing was grounded and that provided the ground for the control circuit. now that its been removed, there is not ground, only positive power for the controller. i'm not sure and i can't check it on the jeep but that makes sense to me. do you think thats the problem? maybe thats not the case but i'm hoping it is ha ha

'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Fan 4eva
does anyone know if the solenoid box/ mount has to be grounded? i relocated mine under the hood and it's not grounded. i was thinking about it and there is no way to complete the control circuit for the solenoids without a ground... does that sound right? i'm guessing when it was mounted to the motor, the motor housing was grounded and that provided the ground for the control circuit. now that its been removed, there is not ground, only positive power for the controller. i'm not sure and i can't check it on the jeep but that makes sense to me. do you think thats the problem? maybe thats not the case but i'm hoping it is ha ha
What would hooking up a temporary ground tell you?
Unread 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Grand Fan 4eva

well, that would tell me but i'm at school and the jeeps at home so i won't get to try it until this weekend and i'm trying to troubleshoot before i get home because i won't have much time to play with it so i'm trying to get some solid ideas first so i can use my time efficiently trying things rather than thinking and researching...

'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Unread 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
175MM BULLDOG

There is is a thin (black?) wire that must connect to a bolt under the winch. Is that there?
Unread 11-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Grand Fan 4eva

no, it's not. but as i recall, there never was. now that i think of it, the winch was on a multi-mount and the solenoid pack was mounted on a piece of flat stock above the motor, not actually touching it. but i'm assuming that wire you speak of connects to the ground wire on the motor? and i would also assume that i can attach it anywhere on the metal backing/mounting plate of the solenoid pack...

'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Unread 11-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
175MM BULLDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Fan 4eva
no, it's not. but as i recall, there never was. now that i think of it, the winch was on a multi-mount and the solenoid pack was mounted on a piece of flat stock above the motor, not actually touching it. but I'm assuming that wire you speak of connects to the ground wire on the motor? and i would also assume that i can attach it anywhere on the metal backing/mounting plate of the solenoid pack...
I seem to recall that my manual said that the winch will not work without that wire connected. Try logging on to the Warn site to download an owners .pdf on your winch.
Unread 11-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #8
175MM BULLDOG

I located my manual. It states that the solenoid pack must be grounded to the chassis in order to work. There is a thin black wire that comes from the solenoid pack. They say to attach it to the ground connection located on the underside of the winch motor. The manual says that the solenoid pack wires are as follows. The top left thick red wire goes to + battery. The next (large black) wire goes to F2 on the motor. The small center thin black wire goes to the ground lug screw under the winch motor. The next thick red cable goes to terminal F1 on the motor. The final thick black cable goes to motor terminal A. Hope this helps.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.