strange whistling sound. help! I have tried everything. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > strange whistling sound. help! I have tried everything.

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
jeepsk8t
2000 TJ Wrangler 

strange whistling sound. help! I have tried everything.

My jeep is making a strange whistling noise after it has been running for about 3 - 4 min. here is where things get strange. it only whistles if I am NOT pressing on the accelerator. it only seams to happen at speeds below 40

I have a recoding of the sound but it is to big to upload. 23mb.

please any suggestions would be great.

jeepsk8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Remove air cleaner and drive it. If it gets louder than it could be coming from the carb.

Or teach it the words and it will sing to you

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
jeepsk8t
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hahahaha thank you for the reply ill post my findings
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

The reason I suggested removing the air cleaner was you may have a situation that at that throttle opening the air passing across the carb throttle plate may cause a whistling noise. When you move the throttle less closed or more open the whistling may stop.

I have something like that happen on a Holley 4 barrel card. With the choke in the right position it would whistle at idle. Once the choke plate was fully open it went away.

Hope it is just that simple....

Can you make it whistle when the Jeep is in park and you accelerate to the RPM that would be equivelent to 40MPH?
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
McNasty35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it's the Jeep in his profile there is no carb. There are a ton of threads on here about this, search on the forum or google search it.
McNasty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
jeepsk8t
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty35
If it's the Jeep in his profile there is no carb. There are a ton of threads on here about this, search on the forum or google search it.
Thank you! I found a great thread on the topic. I'm fairly new to forums so I'm still learning (didn't know I could search)
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
jeepsk8t
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A

Last edited by jeepsk8t; 07-25-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.