stock tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > stock tires

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 05-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
devinci

stock tires

Hey guys,

Should I be airing down with stock sized tires when I go off-roading? This weekend I'll be mainly on rocky trails with the occasional muddy spot but nothing too rough.

Keep in mind my WJ is still at stock height as well.

On-road i run them at 33psi.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

devinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Airing down will give you better grip on rocks and obstacles.. I recommend it. I think if you aired down you will probably lose about an inch or so of clearance depending on how low you drop your psi.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
devinci

That's what I was debating. There are already a few spots where I scrape on this trail so the extra gc might help.

Is there more of a risk of puncturing a tire if I left them at road pressure?
devinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you may be more likely to puncture at street pressures as the tires wont flex around the rocks as much as they will aired down. Id go down to maybe 20PSI as a starting point and see how it goes, you can always take more out or put more in.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wheeled many times before without airing down and never popped a tire, its all about being careful and picking good lines. I have noticed that it does make a big difference though if you air down, I was amazed at how much more grip I felt on the trail. I bought a small portable compressor that plugs into the cigarette outlet for filling back up after the trail.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Definitely air down. On all-terrains with no beadlocks, I think 15-20 psi is about right to give you some resistance to blowing the bead and not compromise your ride height too far. Not only will it help your level of grip, but also level of comfort off-road. A tire at 15psi absorbs a lot more of the impact from every single bump. If I might make a recommendation, the MV-50/MF-1050 air compressor (usually $60 or so) is an excellent budget compressor that will refill your tires in about 2 minutes each when you are done for the day. It draws 30 amps and connects straight to the battery with spring clamps.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.