Steering wheel won't come off! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
ClassicCarMan
2000 WJ 

Steering wheel won't come off!

So I'm trying to change the airbag clock spring in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It was supposed to be a one day job but to my annoyance the steering wheel won't come off.

Shown in the picture: it has no bolt holes to accommodate a bolt steering puller so I had to use a claw puller. I tried two different claw pullers and they didn't work. Seen in the picture they started to strip the shaft and also starting chipping chunks of metal on the rear of the wheel.

After that I resorted to soaking it in WD-40, penetrating oil, and trying to pull it out by hand which failed. I also tried hitting the shaft with a hammer while pulling.

I tried the claw pullers again with a combination of turning, hitting with a hammer, turning, hitting, etc. which didn't work.

I finally tapped in 5/16" bolt holes to accommodate a bolt puller. Well that didn't work and the puller bolts literally started to bend at an angle.

Next I'm going to tap bigger holes and try 3/8" or higher bolts to try to stop any bending.

Is there something that I don't know about? Is there some kind of pin or lock? I've also heard some things before about a the ignition needing to be in a correct position. Any other ideas? I've had a much easier time taking the wheel off my 50 year old classic. This is just ridiculous.

Attached Thumbnails
20170920_162532.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
what ever puller you use. when it gets to that point the force on there is enough to start, bending etc. at that point tap on the steering wheel with a brass or hard rubber hammer. same idea when doing ball joints. works in most cases. this way the load on the thing being pulled is shocked off buy the vibration. Just dont ruin what your hitting.

be sure to disconnect the battery and enough time for it to discharge the SRS. what ever is specked. most are few minutes to be safe.

good luck.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
ClassicCarMan
2000 WJ 

Alright I finally got it off! Tapped in 3/8" holes. Those big bolts weren't bending unlike the 5/16ths. I kept turning the puller and hitting the wheel with a hammer (like 222Doc suggested) after each turn for good measure. It reached a point that I couldn't turn the wrench with my own strength so I used an impact wrench for 5 seconds til the the wheel popped off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.