JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   State by State Vehicle Equipment Laws (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/state-state-vehicle-equipment-laws-703449/)

Rivka 09-13-2006 01:55 PM

The Project...

What we are doing with this thread:
Giving you the leg up to be an informed Jeep owner. Showing you where to find the laws that affect you as you build and enjoy your Jeep.

Why not just save me the bother and tell me what's legal or not? Other sites have already done this.
There are a lot of sites that attempt to "sum it all up for you" These often are a the least lacking in vital info and context and at worst, they are often just plain wrong, either because they are outdated, misread or not taking in account all the factors. Reading just these would be trusting as fact an interpretation of the laws by a layman you don't know. Bottom line they are not particularly good to trust. And you certainly cant quote them in court and expect them to save you a costly ticket you got for being wrong!
Even if we wanted to do it right, done correctly it would be more work than could every be managed. Read for yourself and you will always know where to look for the next thing.

What you can do to help:
To help yourself...
Everyone should scan their state laws, a lot of sites also have a way to find out what has been changed that year. Also take the time to find out your Jeep's measurements. (frame height, headlight height, whatever your state uses as a gauge) If you have something on your jeep that is really close to breaking a law or just looks bad but is legal, I suggest printing off the code that refers to it (and shows that it is still legal) and carry it with your important papers in the Jeep. You may be able to nicely get out of a issue with a cop that does not know and save yourself the trip to explain it to a judge.

To help the List...
If your state is not listed or if a link changes and we don't notice, let me know by posting in this thread or sending me a PM. If your state is up already you can help out with one we have not found already or read your state really good and help us with the codes we are using, see post #3

Notes about the list:
-This has been a collaborative effort and I really want to thank everyone that has and is helping out.
-All useable info is compiled in the first 4 posts, all information posted in relies will be integrated where it is useful and updated when necessary. If you post something for me and I forget to add it after a few weeks, PM me, somethings get lost in the shuffle.
-Letter codes are explained in Post #3
-FAQ about Laws and this list are in Post #4

Rivka 09-13-2006 01:56 PM

State Vehicle Code Links Master list

Recently added or updated! New Mexico, Georgia, New York,
Still Looking For Help Finding States Listed In Orange
Canada Vehicle Equipment Related Laws

*Note: those Canadian Provinces with out links are because links given were broken or I could not find specific info on the site. Please look at the links given in post 21 and help me fix the errors, post any corrections and i will add them here. Thanks!

Rivka 09-13-2006 01:56 PM

Links, Legands and little bits

Links
I will be listing here some other links and list from other sites that may help you on your search.
Please note that I can not really vouch for any information but especially info complied by other people.
Be careful when taking peoples word on things and reading sites that "translate" laws. they can be out of date, misleading or completely wrong. They can also be great, there is just no guarantee without checking the laws from the "horses mouth" sort to speak, this is why the main link list above is always source number one!

Other state by state lists:
Cornell Law School, State Statutes on the Internet, Motor Vehicles
The Quadratec Bulletin Board, Topic: FIND YOUR STATE LAWS

Compiled and Translated info sources:
SEMA PDF "State Laws For Altered-Height Vehicles" unknown creation date, not sure on if this gets updated

Other good info:
SEMA Laws and Regulation site
Lemon Law Statutes by State

Legend for Post #2 Please tell me if you think this feature should stay, I am considering removing it.
This is a small attempt to cover items that are looked up the most. It simply states if that particular state has a law covering that or not. It will just prompt you to do the research yourself and does not promise to be accurate, I will do my best.
A letter or symbol to each feature that we choose to cover and give it a color depending on if we find a law referring to it or not.

Red for something found in the law about it
Green for no reference found in the law,
No listing of a letter under a state does not mean there is no law, it just means we have not looked or can not confirm, it will be listed green if we are mostly sure the law is not there.

You will need to do your our reading, it would be oversimplifying to list what the referring law is.If this works, it is just a leg up, if it becomes to confusing it will take the feature away.
I am going to start the code with three topics, if you think I should do others, feel free to mention.

(F) Fenders/Wheel coverage ?
F means no law found concerning tire coverage or splash guards, a F means some law found, do more reading
(M) Mirrors?
M No law found, a M means law found, do more reading (many states have laws found, but they let you have none in certain circumstances
(D) Doors?
D means no door law or ok to have no doors (remember mirrors are a separate issue), a D means some sort of door law, do more reading

If you would like to help and do your state or more, please get the info and PM me, and include the law number or whatever so I can find it. I want to make sure this info is done in the most uniform way.

Rivka 09-13-2006 01:57 PM

FAQ on Laws and this List

I have heard some general law related questions over and over, So I figure this post can be helpful, if you think of a FAQ that should be here let me know, even if you don't know the answer. If you feel I have something wrong here, feel free to write me, I'm far from perfect. Below the FAQ I am going to list questions that I have heard that I do not know the full answer on, if you do (and can show proof of some sort) please let me know so I can post it here. Facts only, no hearsay of what you got away with.

FAQ:

Why do somethings say they are for "Off Road Use Only" or are not DOT approved for street use, does that make them illegal?

No. That alone does not make anything illegal to drive the streets with. For that there has to be a law on the books where you are driving, specifically stating that something you are doing is illegal or that you no longer have something that is legally required. Things in this country are legal until stated illegal.
What is being said when you read that, is that they are covering their legal backside, or did not bother to get something tested to get it stamp by what ever regulatory body covers that item.
In some cases it can be both "not approved" and illegal according to laws, other times it can just be one or the other. It can also be DOT approved in general but illegal in your area or in the way you use it. Best thing, know your state laws, do your homework. Make your decisions bases on laws and common sense, not sales tactics.

Unanswered FAQ of the week:

What happens when I drive to another state with something that is legal in my state and illegal in the state I'm going too? Does that change depending on length of stay? Like if I'm just driving thru vs if I'm there for a while, like at school or in the Army?

Wheelin98TJ 09-13-2006 02:00 PM

Sounds like a good idea though it should be in another forum so its not just for us TJ guys.

What laws are you researching so I can move this to the appropriate forum? I assume lift height, tire coverage, etc.?

Something else worth mentioning - reading law directly from the code can be VERY difficult to interpret at times as I'm sure you already know. I understand what you're saying about using secondary sources that attempt to translate the law, but it could be helpful to include links to translations as well.

Good luck with this.

Rivka 09-13-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Sounds like a good idea though it should be in another forum so its not just for us TJ guys.

yeah i agree, i looked through and did not really know a best place to stick it, so i figured i would start it where it got the most traffic and some moderator like you would end up helping us figure out a final resting spot. What are your suggestions ?
Quote:

What laws are you researching so I can move this to the appropriate forum? I assume lift height, tire coverage, etc.?
i will be posting the few states i have in a few minutes and you can see more clearly. basically it is the whole vehicle code as it pertains to equipment. yes that covers lights, fenders , reflectors, lift height, basically whatever a state covers. It is way more that lift heights, i used my states info for things like my taillight conversion, knowing what mirrors i had to replace after removing my doors and general things that come up in mods.
Quote:

Something else worth mentioning - reading law directly from the code can be VERY difficult to interpret at times as I'm sure you already know. I understand what you're saying about using secondary sources that attempt to translate the law, but it could be helpful to include links to translations as well.
yes it can and it has taken me a while to get good at reading my state and i still notice that some states are even worse. My plan is to work first to get all the links , then figure out of there is a way to put the stuff in to laymen terms and still keep it to the facts and not to simplified that it misses important things. I can see this is going to be at least a 3 part mission. I'm willing to stick with it. the important part is that the fact are made available, people can choose what they are willing to dig into.
Quote:

Good luck with this.
thanks!

Wheelin98TJ 09-13-2006 02:25 PM

Here's a link for Michigan:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...5967--,00.html

I'll let this thread stay here for the traffic, but sometime tomorrow I'll move it to the 'General Off-Road...' forum so we can get some input from everyone else.

Depending on how this turns out, we could make this a sticky in the 'General Off-Road...' forum and possibly in the 'Lift/Shocks/Tires/Wheels' forum too.

Red_ 09-13-2006 02:31 PM

California Vehicle code

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

Rivka 09-13-2006 02:32 PM

thanks for your help and input!

mdm 09-13-2006 02:34 PM

Alabama

Is this what you want?

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/C...1975/22786.htm

keithert 09-13-2006 02:34 PM

Here are Illinois rules related to windshields and mirrors. Illinois Vehicle Code.

grymsr 09-13-2006 02:58 PM

Here's Maine's http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statu...-Ach0sec0.html

Rivka 09-13-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdm

i looked through that a bit, and cant find anything about vehicle equipment, I'm sure there is some laws (i would assume) can you did around and see if you can find any place that talk about things like headlamps or mirrors, they are usually on every state so might be a good thing to look for. You are on the right track!

Rivka 09-13-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithert
Here are Illinois rules related to windshields and mirrors. Illinois Vehicle Code.

found the whole thing from the state site, will post it.

Please link to official state sites only, that way we know we have the whole current thing.
thank you!!!!

darm 09-13-2006 03:19 PM

Here's the Connecticut Vehicle Law Title of the General Statutes.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Title14.htm

The time now is 06:26 AM.