specific torx bit for stripped tailgate hinge bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > specific torx bit for stripped tailgate hinge bolts?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
first5.0

specific torx bit for stripped tailgate hinge bolts?

I'm replacing the tailgate hinges and was able to get the top hinge off using a T40 torx bit. unfortunately all three of the bolts on the bottom hinge are stripped.

i was told there are special torx bits that are grooved in a 'spiral' so that when you go to loosen the bolt it digs into the bolt for better grip allowing you to get out the stripped bolts easier.

does anyone know if this is true and if so what are they called? thanks.

first5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
xyz123
Super Senior Member

BTT- I'm interested to see if this exists
xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
jrodum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im also intrested. i tried everything to get off a torx on the windshield mount. even broke off an extractor in it. it won and i just left it there
01 TJ, 5.3L LM4 4l60e lokar shifter, np241C with JB conversions SYE, Carolina Driveline F+R driveshafts, taurus fan + griffin radiator, 33" Destinations, D30 ballistic brackets + 8.8 + MAD brackets, SOLID diffs, 3.5" RE lift discos + CAs ,1" BL, magnaflow muffler Panasonic reciever, Infinity speakers / Tweeters, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8's, Herc'd grill and tub, LOD rockers, Hella fogs, LOD front shorty bumper w/custom tube, Rear Bumper/ Tire Carrier + LOD frame tie-in bracket, Warn xd9000i
jrodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
ItzaJeepThing98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one...I just stripped 3 out of the 4 torx bolts needed to mount my new mirror movers. What a pain. If there is such a thing....PLEASE let us know.
ItzaJeepThing98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Ive had the same problem with mine. I tried using one of the bit remover and it broke.
I ended up taking a 1/2 in cobalt drill bit, measuring to the tub and drilling out the bolts heads. Once I was clear of the bracket, they slipped off, then with 2 cans of PB Blaster and a vise grip the remaining bolts came out. LOL.. it sucked.

I have seen the ones you are talking about advertised on TV, I just cant remember the name of them.

Good Luck
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Handtools/HT212.asp These work awesome! I have a set of the snap-on ones and stripped my hood bolts drill a hole pop one of these in " I USED 3/16 " give it a little tap w/ a hammer 1/2 boxed end wrench. It will feel like its going to strip the left hand threads digging into the bolt then a couple grunts and pow out they came. Find yourself the Snap-On Blue-Point Wedge-Pruf Extractors These are even better!
Unread 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

I had this problem when removing the stock hinges off my 99 TJ. Since the hinges were the only real "blemish" on the car (paint was flaking off), I ordered a pair of Kentrol black hinges from 4wd.com. So I broke about 4-5 bits when trying to remove the hinges. Finally I did some research and found out Jeep not only tightens the hell out of the bolts during production of a Jeep, but they also use some sort of glue that makes it nearly impossible to remove the damn bolts.

Anyway, I used a propane torch to heat them up, about 5-7 minutes per bolt, took the jeep down a friends shop, had him mig weld new bolts over the old ones and use the force of the lord to remove the stock bolts. Worked pretty good and they came off fairly easy...and the new hinges look even better.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
ItzaJeepThing98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the website and info. I just ordered the small extractor set from http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Handtools/HT212.asp Let's hope this works! I don't have much hair left to rip out.
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
ItzaJeepThing98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm cursed! Broke 3 of these extractor wedges and gave up. WTF!!!! Any other suggestions? Or should I just surrender and take it somewhere to have it done?
Unread 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Yeah the extractor things dont really work.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS AT A SHOP, BY EITHER A PRO OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW LIKE A FRIEND THAT OWNS A MIG WELDER.

Get one of those propane torches, with a pencil flame, and heat up the bolts very carefully, so you dont damage the paint on the actual tailgate, and the body. Take about 5 minutes per bolt. Take a T40 bit and place it over the stock bolts, and pound on them a few times with a hammer, that loosens up the glue that you just heated up with the torch. Now try to unscrew the bolt with a T40 bit. If it doesnt go, leave it alone so you dont stripped the bolts any further.

Once you have that done, have them mig weld another bolt (one that will be sacrificed!) over the bolt you just heated up. Then just use torque wrench to unscrew the bolts. You might have to use more than one sacrificial bolt.

That should do it...

Let me know how it goes...
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
wick913
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey just read your thead. I had just got a used tailgate my self after hours of cussing the thing i was left with only one torx bolt to remove. You are changing out the hinges if i read right? I ended up taking a grinding wheel and making it into a standard head bolt because i wasent going to use the bolt or the hinge from that tailgate. Just to put another opition out there for you.
wick913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.