Spacer wars! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Spacer wars!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
gundog1

Spacer wars!

Ok guys I just put a 2 inch BB on my WJ and then started reading a forum (Maybe I should have researched first)
Is a spacer bad for the jeep? Am I going to have ball joints breaking and things binding?

gundog1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unless you buy a pretty expensive set they are likely to be out of balance. Even expensive ones can be out of balance. Then you have to balance the wheel on the truck. Who does that?

Of course, spacers change the leverage that the road forces apply to the suspension. Think of it like being on a tetter totter and one kid moves a little further out. That is what happens when you put a spacer on.

Finally, they are often made of cheap metal and if they break, bad things happen.

An expensive set of spacers, 20 new lug nuts, and on-the-truck wheel balancing usually comes to about what the right sized steel wheels might have cost in the first place. Of course, if you are trying to fit an existing set of expensive wheels that you already own, most guys go with the spacers.
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Agree with buying a quality set of spacers (e.g. Spidertrax (which come with the lug nuts)). Then be sure to follow install instructions carefully. If you do all that they are no different than running wheels with less backspacing. I run them on my daughter's XJ so she can use JK wheels (they convert lug pattern too) and I don't worry about her.
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

he is talking about the spring spacers on the budget boost not wheel spacers
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballtruck View Post
Yeah I don't know how it got off track so quickly....
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why would coil spring spacers have any effect on ball joints, gundog? Use some logic here.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
gundog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Why would coil spring spacers have any effect on ball joints, gundog? Use some logic here.

Don't be going down the use some logic with me....I am asking a question on something I have no idea about. I read a forum and now I'm asking you all because I'm trusting ya'll know about this stuff. Coil spacers they were saying that shocks will break, ball joints go out fast, cv binds, ect...
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballtruck View Post
Ooops! Nevermind.
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only issue you can really run into is with the additional lift you could run into your shocks over extending, which will cause issues. Longer shocks fixes that. You should also check your rig fully flexed to see if your brake lines are long enough.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog1 View Post
Don't be going down the use some logic with me....I am asking a question on something I have no idea about. I read a forum and now I'm asking you all because I'm trusting ya'll know about this stuff. Coil spacers they were saying that shocks will break, ball joints go out fast, cv binds, ect...
OK, regardless of if you agree with the process of applying logical thinking to something in order to counter your unfamiliarity with something, let's do that.

Coil spacers go where? Above the coils. What does that do? It raises the frame further away from the axles a distance equal to the height of the spacers. Therefore, everything attached to the frame -- the engine, transmission, transfer case, tub, one end of each drive shaft, one end of each shock, etc -- go up with it.

Ball joints are affixed to the front axle housing. They are effected by the added leverage of larger tires and/or wheels with less backspacing. The coil spacer is irrelevant to them. The shocks will only experience any issues if they are reach full extension under normal driving conditions. Considering one end is attached to the frame, their new ride height length will increase by the height of the spacer. I would recommend you purchase shocks that are longer by the same amount as the height of your pucks, or thereabouts. This also will require your bump stops be adjusted to eliminate the chance of your shocks acting as limiters.

The CV end of your drive shaft (at the transfer case output) may or may not have issues with the new increase in its operating angle. An easy, non-scientific way to tell is to go for a drive after the install. Driveline vibrations are unmistakable in feel and if you have some, you either need to lower the transfer case skid or come up with another solution.

Regardless of if you're mechanically inclined or not, the partnership between your eyes and your brain can help you figure out a whole lot of stuff.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

OK, regardless of if you agree with the process of applying logical thinking to something in order to counter your unfamiliarity with something, let's do that.

Coil spacers go where? Above the coils. What does that do? It raises the frame further away from the axles a distance equal to the height of the spacers. Therefore, everything attached to the frame -- the engine, transmission, transfer case, tub, one end of each drive shaft, one end of each shock, etc -- go up with it.

Ball joints are affixed to the front axle housing. They are effected by the added leverage of larger tires and/or wheels with less backspacing. The coil spacer is irrelevant to them. The shocks will only experience any issues if they are reach full extension under normal driving conditions. Considering one end is attached to the frame, their new ride height length will increase by the height of the spacer. I would recommend you purchase shocks that are longer by the same amount as the height of your pucks, or thereabouts. This also will require your bump stops be adjusted to eliminate the chance of your shocks acting as limiters.

The CV end of your drive shaft (at the transfer case output) may or may not have issues with the new increase in its operating angle. An easy, non-scientific way to tell is to go for a drive after the install. Driveline vibrations are unmistakable in feel and if you have some, you either need to lower the transfer case skid or come up with another solution.

Regardless of if you're mechanically inclined or not, the partnership between your eyes and your brain can help you figure out a whole lot of stuff.
Love this haha.
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
gundog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I would recommend you purchase shocks that are longer by the same amount as the height of your pucks, or thereabouts. This also will require your bump stops be adjusted to eliminate the chance of your shocks acting as limiters.
So 2 inch lift shocks is all I should need. Now...Bump Stops, where the hell are those lol. I literally pulled this crap off for 3 1/2 hours and put back together for the first time by myself. So as for mechanically inclined I am but cut me some slack for I did a crap ton (again) for the first time and I didn't sit there and look at things. I just followed directions and used simple machines to complete my task. So without insult... What are the bumpstops and how do I adjust? Thanks a million

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.