Soft top replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Soft top replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
pauljerome

Soft top replacement

Good afternoon everyone,

I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2006 Wrangler TJ over the weekend and am excited about my new purchase. However, yesterday when trying to put the soft top back on I almost broke every bone in my hand trying to get everything lined up. Realizing that it should not be that difficult, I am going to purchase a new soft top. I am looking at either Bestop or Sierra Outdoor. My question is do I need to buy any hardware in addition to the tops, such as the latches, etc. or does the necessary equipment come with the top? I have been looking at the product descriptions, but they are not very informative with this. I greatly appreciate any advice and help.

Cheers,
Paul

pauljerome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Jeep family! To answer your question, it depends. Yes, you can buy all the hardware but that's gonna pretty much cost you an extra couple hundred bucks. Or you can just buy the replacement top, which is pretty much just the top, door skins and windows- no hardware at all is included. Why was your top so difficult to install? Are there broken parts?
BTW, I'm basing this on my experience buying a replacement top for my YJ.
rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
pauljerome

Thanks for your response. I should have clarified, my fingers almost broke merely putting the existing top back on, not putting on a replacement top. I am pretty certain it is the original top and needs to be replaced. I got blisters from merely trying to unzip the windows, which is not normal. When you replaced the soft top on your TJ, was it easy? It seems like it is easy. Although I have read that moving the latches that lock the top in the front from one top to another is not easy.

Again, thank you for your help.

Best,
Paul
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you doing it correctly? There is a technique that isn't immediately obvious. Where exactly are you having trouble? Is it the rear corners after you clip the front header bar?
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
pauljerome

Thanks for getting back to me. I am having problems stretching and tucking the canopy everywhere, on the sides, in the back, plus the quarter windows and back windows are having fits as well. I am almost positive it is just time for a new top. The stitching looks stretched and the top is stubborn overall. I purchased the Bestop from AutoAnything and it will be delivered today. I will keep you posted how the new top fairs in putting it on.
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
Hristo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If there are no tears in the top, it should be fine. You can run some soap along the zipper to make it move better. It should be stiff though.
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Let us know how the new top works out. My 02 still has the original top on (no leaks and still works great) but can be stubborn at times. Did you get sailcloth replacement?
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The big tip is to only hook the front catches (don't fully latch them yet) into the windshield before attaching all the splines on the main canopy. Also, put the side windows in before you do the splines above the doors. Once everything is assembled, then you latch the header bar.

If you aren't doing it that way, then you will have trouble. YouTube has plenty of how-to videos of putting on a TJ soft top.

It is fairly easy, but you are dealing with a rough heavy canvas and thick stitching. Remember, this is a tent that needs to survive repeated highway speed hurricanes. It needs to be tough and it won't be easy on soft hands. Any good replacement top will not change that. Also, be aware that many will say that the original top is the best you can get.

Tags
soft top , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.