So, I Drove My ZJ Through A Tree Today.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > So, I Drove My ZJ Through A Tree Today....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

So, I Drove My ZJ Through A Tree Today....

My g/f, myself, my buddy and his g/f decided to take our Jeeps up to north Jersey. There's a sick waterfall and some good hiking (even in snow) so we ventured up there today. Here's our trip in photos...

Lower MontCo:

611 north of Doylestown, PA:

611 near the 29 split in PA:

Middle of nowhere Northwest Jersey:

Clearing one of the hundreds of trees that fell over the road:

Then, about 45 minutes later we're cruising along at 10-15 MPH on a downhill. All of a sudden I see a huge white puff/cloud off in the woods. Then, a second later I see this tree fall across the road. I hit the brakes as I saw it start to come down. Unfortunately it landed about 10 feet in front of us. Nothing I could do. I thought to myself that I needed to avoid the trunk of the tree, and hit the upper branches if I am going to hit anything. So that's what I did. We made it through the tree and I started to turn back toward my side of the road. Just as I thought everything was fine, I hear a THUD... The Jeep stopped. I open my door to see my rear, driver side tire about 4 feet off the ground, over a small stream bed. Great!

Got out to check the damage. Didn't look horrible. The Jeep was resting on the hitch on the rear. Gas tank was not touched. We had some great help from the locals who provided a couple thick boards for the rear tire to "ramp" up as my buddy pulled me out in his MJ (Comanchee). Drenched and cold, we decided to cut our losses and head home. Easy, right? Not really... This was I80 East, just west of Route 206 where dozens of trucks were stuck on the incline, in almost every lane. Crazy:

Route 206 was even worse. Power was out and large trees covered 3/4 of the roadway every 1/2 mile or less, nearly the entire drive on 206 from 80 to 202. I'm a huge fan of driving in inclement weather, but this was one for the books. I've never seen so much devastation from wet snow on trees before. It was quite an experience....

Damage report:
-Passenger side headlight
-Passenger side fender
-Hood
-Cat, muffler, tailpipe
-Antenna

Not too bad for driving through a tree!

-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

These Jeeps are crazy what they can survive. This is my 6th Jeep. This is one of the only reasons I'm glad I didn't retro in my FX-R 1.1's! I took the projector out of the housing. The projector lens was knocked loose, but looks okay. I snapped it back into place.

This morning:

Some fixing to get some things back together (exhaust, bumper, etc.):

Projectors:

Cutoff:
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
kashoggio

Wet snow, trees with leaves will result in that.. Crazy about the tree , glad to see u ok

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

I'd actually say that your hood looks to have survived that. I think most of the gap is just the fact that your fender is kinda folded in half. Maybe bend that front most bit back with a pair of pliers and some cloth, but it hardly looks scratched from having gotten hit by a freaking tree.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

The hood looks fine. Should just need a new quarter panel to get that front end back together. That's impressively little damage from a tree. Looks like you did a good job aiming for the soft spot!
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Flex!

Sorry 'bout the damage though.
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
BomberJeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you are both ok.
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Grimm5577
1997 TJ Wrangler 

wow that sucks, glad you are ok! i guess you'll get more practice on making more retro headlights.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Thank you everyone. The hood is bent a little worse than it looks. I am try to take some wide vice grips to bend it out, but we'll see if I make an insurance claim or not. Here's another shot:

Already started on fixing the passenger side retro - painted the housing. Should be mounting the projector tonight and possibly finishing the lens as well. May have everything back together tonight or tomorrow.

Unread 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
piraterig
2004 WJ 

wow.... cool pics of the zj and mj... glad you made it out with a drive-able jeep!
piraterig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piraterig View Post
wow.... cool pics of the zj and mj... glad you made it out with a drive-able jeep!
Thanks. I'm happy it was only Jeep body damage and not human body damage that occurred. Could've been far worse. I'm very thankful.

Unread 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Picked up a used grille & fender (same color and pin stripe) from Harry's U-Pull It in Pennsburg, PA. Also picked up a brand new header panel from here at work. Header panel will be installed once I get some more free time. I have new plans for the headlights too, stay tuned

Out with the old:

In with the "new":

Unread 01-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
karlo

Glad that your jeep is getting fixed now.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Dirtyjeep92
1998 XJ Cherokee 

see now if it was lifted it would have hit the bumper instead.
Dirtyjeep92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Glad you didn't fall into the creek. I knocked my wife into a situation like that once. I tried to climb a snowy trail in teh TJ, she followed in the WJ. Halfway up I lost traction and slid back into her knocking her passenger side off a small bridge. Destroyed the WJs bumper and dented the cross member underneath.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.