So I am thinking of getting a winch for the CJ this XMass . . - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > So I am thinking of getting a winch for the CJ this XMass . .

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,043
Superwinch only makes their X9 and S9000 in the U.S. now, all the rest of their winches now come from China.

__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
diddy2003
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holyoke, Massachusetts
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Superwinch only makes their X9 and S9000 in the U.S. now, all the rest of their winches now come from China.
Wow, that was the big reason I was looking at this price range. I was hoping to be getting a US made winch. I am surprised that a 1000 dollar msrp winch, from a company in CT, is made in China. Thanks. Looks like the Warn is the one for me. I can't think of another US made winch in the 700-800 dollar range.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
diddy2003
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holyoke, Massachusetts
Posts: 673
Is that S9000 a good winch? I just found some for sale for really cheap. I don't know anything about it. Thanks. It does look kind of cool.
http://www.superwinch.com/p/s9000-9-...2v?pp=12&pp=12
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
diddy2003
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holyoke, Massachusetts
Posts: 673
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep
 
PAFirefighter11's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Flourtown, PA | Bethany, DE
Posts: 1,044
I am loving the new Zeon winches from Warn. They look great!
__________________
-Rick
-Quadratec Live Chat Rep.
-Please contact us at user ID "Quadratec" with any Sales or CS questions. You can also contact Sales at 1-800-745-2348 or Customer Service at 1-800-745-6037
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
Muddman
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Superwinch only makes their X9 and S9000 in the U.S. now, all the rest of their winches now come from China.
What about Ramsey? Looks like the Patriot 8000 and 9500 are "Made in the USA" according to their website. Even their cheaper Rep and Patriot Profile say "Made in the USA". I have also been told many tow companies use them Ramsey which gives me some convidence that they are reliable.

The Patriot 8000 with 12' wire remote is on sale for $650 at Quadratec right now (have to add to cart to see sale price). At that price I am really considering getting it. Please let me know if I should stay away.

http://www.ramsey.com/winches/patrio...ml#autostories

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_003_07.htm
__________________
97 TJ- black SE, 5-speed
RE 3.5" suspension lift with RE Adjustable Track Bar, 33x12.5R15 BFGoodrich MTs on 15x8 AR-63, Front tow hooks, offroad lights, Wilderness swing away tire carrier bumper with rack, AtoZ Fabrication Rocker Guards with tube step, cb
Black Jeep Club V2.0 # 76
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
85LaredoCJ7
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: , Arizona
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
On a CJ you got to run a used Warn 8274 it just belongs on a CJ.
Indeed...I bought mine for about $250 or so and re-did it. Here is a little photobucket album I put together.

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/a...20re-assemble/


__________________
The Dude abides....
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddman View Post
What about Ramsey? Looks like the Patriot 8000 and 9500 are "Made in the USA" according to their website. Even their cheaper Rep and Patriot Profile say "Made in the USA". I have also been told many tow companies use them Ramsey which gives me some convidence that they are reliable.

The Patriot 8000 with 12' wire remote is on sale for $650 at Quadratec right now (have to add to cart to see sale price). At that price I am really considering getting it. Please let me know if I should stay away.

http://www.ramsey.com/winches/patrio...ml#autostories

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_003_07.htm
So far as I know, Ramsey still makes their winches here in the U.S.

That said, a friend I wheeled with for years had a major problem with Ramsey & his Ramsey winch that soured me on them. He had a fairly new Ramsey that failed during normal offroad use. After sending it in for the expected repair under warranty (it was less than a year old), he was shocked that Ramsey refused to repair it under warranty, curtly saying that it had to have been abused for it to have failed that soon in the way it did. To me, they were just asinine over the issue. Knowing him personally & having heard from him first-hand what happened, I'll never buy a Ramsey winch. US-made or not.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,606
When I had my CJ7 (13 years) I ran it with a Warn 8000 until I sold it to a friend for his ford truck. He is using it to this day and it still works like new. Oh and by the way, Warn has outstanding customer service to boot, bar none.
__________________
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #25
Muddman
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
So far as I know, Ramsey still makes their winches here in the U.S.

That said, a friend I wheeled with for years had a major problem with Ramsey & his Ramsey winch that soured me on them. He had a fairly new Ramsey that failed during normal offroad use. After sending it in for the expected repair under warranty (it was less than a year old), he was shocked that Ramsey refused to repair it under warranty, curtly saying that it had to have been abused for it to have failed that soon in the way it did. To me, they were just asinine over the issue. Knowing him personally & having heard from him first-hand what happened, I'll never buy a Ramsey winch. US-made or not.
Thanks for the response. Customer service goes a long way with me and that just sounds like awful to me. Guess I'll hold out for the Warn. You feel the M8000 is a good, solid winch? It's $650 like the Ramsey I mentioned but slower. However, it's not like I'm racing so speeds isn't as big of a concern and better than having nothing and always relying on someone else. Or how about the cheaper VR8000 for light duty trail use?
__________________
97 TJ- black SE, 5-speed
RE 3.5" suspension lift with RE Adjustable Track Bar, 33x12.5R15 BFGoodrich MTs on 15x8 AR-63, Front tow hooks, offroad lights, Wilderness swing away tire carrier bumper with rack, AtoZ Fabrication Rocker Guards with tube step, cb
Black Jeep Club V2.0 # 76
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
austinaubinoe
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,156
rebuilt 8274's for $750. http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/?page_id=2087

he will sell you a rebuilt bellview for $400.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddman View Post
Thanks for the response. Customer service goes a long way with me and that just sounds like awful to me. Guess I'll hold out for the Warn. You feel the M8000 is a good, solid winch? It's $650 like the Ramsey I mentioned but slower. However, it's not like I'm racing so speeds isn't as big of a concern and better than having nothing and always relying on someone else. Or how about the cheaper VR8000 for light duty trail use?
Absolutely the M8000 is a very good solid winch. The VR8000 would be good too but I'd choose the M8000 if both were in front of me.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
Buz05
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sumner, washington
Posts: 4
Has anyone bought/used the new Quadratec q9500i, and if so do how well does it perform?
Buz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #29
TSEJEEPERS
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Morton IL
Posts: 4,890
Lots of good prices on Warn winches here.
I would go with the Warn, easier to get parts for if you need them.
http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Wi...0702&t_pl=6407
__________________
93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list. www.mijc.org
TSEJEEPERS is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.