Snow chains for off road usage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Snow chains for off road usage?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
rocinante
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Snow chains for off road usage?

I am more of the on road suburban type so I don't want to give up street friendly tires but I got to thinking snow chains help maneuver icy and slippery roads so could they be used for rutted and muddy terrain for the same effect?

rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Coyotero
1978 CJ7 

They will help a bunch sometimes, but if you have sticky clay type mud, the kind we call "gumbo" up here, it just builds up over the chains. I have had to take the fenders off of a boat trailer to get it to the hiway because that stuff just packs between the fenders and tires unil the wheels stop turning!.......yuk.
Coyotero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
rocinante
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The gumbo mud would defeat regular knobby off road tires too.
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

They would work really good on any trails you want destroyed to the point they get shutdown.

If you want the quiet cushy ride of street tires, keep your *** on the street.
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
rocinante
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Tony98 no need to be rude. I hadn't considered that aspect. If you weren't such a **** I would say thank you. Geaux Tigers.
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post
Tony98 no need to be rude. I hadn't considered that aspect. If you weren't such a **** I would say thank you. Geaux Tigers.
sorry, my sarcasim came off wrong. meant that in a joking way.

but now you're really gunna think i'm a ****....ROLL TIDE
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
NorthRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
They would work really good on any trails you want destroyed to the point they get shutdown.
So whats worse for the trails?

A guy running chains that takes a single run to get up an obstacle.

Or a guy without chains that takes 6 runs and digs the trail up trying to get up the same obstacle.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Being a truck driver and using chains often, I would only recommend chains for when you absolutely NEED them in snowy icy conditions. Chains work well to provide traction in snow ice and hard packed snow. They also provide traction in mud BUT the dig holes. They are brutally abusive to both the terrain and your vehicle. They can grab solid and cause axles, hubs, gears ect. break too.

Vehicle damage is the biggest concern. You may think tire chains would be impossible to break but they do break all the time. Just imagine a cross link breaking spinning around and mangling your fenders, suspension, brakes, ect.

Another point is the weight and complicated storage of them. There is a reason semis have hooks to hang them on all purdy like and untangled.

And finally go buy a set and put them on 1 time and come back and tell us how often you would like to do that.

I would suggest a good AT tire for you like BFG AT's, they run great on the street and are surprisingly capable off road (for an all terrain anyway)
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
rocinante
1996 XJ Cherokee 

balzer that was an informative outstanding post about pros and cons.

So far the most I have used the special qualities of a 4x4 jeep is going down rutted country roads in fair weather. My thinking was a bit of a survivalist fantasy of needing to go places I might normally not go and have an emergency capacity to extend my capacities. Does that make any sense? i.e. musing mostly.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

balzer is absolutely correct with his post. Chains are definately not as strong as you think and I would definately not want them to break off and rip through important components such as your fenders, brake lines, ect. This also holds true with using them for recovery.. which is why you usually only see nylon, synthetic, or cables.

Tony89 - Normally I just ignore idiotic posts like yours but in this case I gotta say you definately sounded like an intentional *** -hole. I am a very sarcastic punk and I sure don't come off sounding like that. OP was asking a lagitimate question... I would hate to see your response to the many stupid questions asked daily in this forum. Not a great way to make friends or be respected IMO.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post

Tony89 - Normally I just ignore idiotic posts like yours but in this case I gotta say you definately sounded like an intentional *** -hole. I am a very sarcastic punk and I sure don't come off sounding like that. OP was asking a lagitimate question... I would hate to see your response to the many stupid questions asked daily in this forum. Not a great way to make friends or be respected IMO.
My heart really aches that a stranger on an internet forum hundreds of miles away doesn't want to be my friend. Consulting some emo kids about the best way to commit suicide now - I can never remember if its "across the street" or "down the block" to get the job done.
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony89 View Post
My heart really aches that a stranger on an internet forum hundreds of miles away doesn't want to be my friend. Consulting some emo kids about the best way to commit suicide now - I can never remember if its "across the street" or "down the block" to get the job done.

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
balzer is absolutely correct with his post. Chains are definately not as strong as you think and I would definately not want them to break off and rip through important components such as your fenders, brake lines, ect. This also holds true with using them for recovery.. which is why you usually only see nylon, synthetic, or cables.
A good chain is just as strong or stronger than a winch cable. A good set of snow chains is also rather strong but like everything it has a limit.

Like has been said you will do more damage than good with snow chains. Theres also the fact you will do damage to the trails your on with them that will probably get them shut down. I have taken my yukon down trails with street tires and it does just fine if you air down and take your time. A good set of AT or mud tires would be a far better investment than snow chains for a jeep.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.