Snorkel/cold air intake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Snorkel/cold air intake?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
A-Barr

Snorkel/cold air intake?

This might be an obvious question but does a snorkel produce the same effect as an under hood cold air intake, providing cooler air than that closer to engine, or does the intake provide a different process the snorkel would not? Looking to install a cold intake but if a snorkel does the same I might go for the extra $100

A-Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Both will work however both will suck in water. If it's raining you would have to remove the snorkel but a cold air intake is designed to take cold air from the road so you will suck in water when going through mud holes.
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
A-Barr

Hmm good point. So would you have to switch from snorkel to under hood intake in the rain or is there some sort of rain guard for the snorkel?
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Actually both don't work the same. Exactly what cold air is an open element under hood filter pulling? What a waste of money. A snorkel or cowl intake do at least get cooler air from outside the engine compartment.

Many, many people run snorkels in the rain and have no problems with hydrolocking their engines.
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Barr View Post
This might be an obvious question but does a snorkel produce the same effect as an under hood cold air intake, providing cooler air than that closer to engine, or does the intake provide a different process the snorkel would not? Looking to install a cold intake but if a snorkel does the same I might go for the extra $100
Read this:
Cold Air Intake FAQ
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Snorkels do have things to stop rain but they don't really work and the worst thing to do is turn it around do to the fact that it will be sucking low pressure air. I'm going to run a pipe to that vent near the windshield and connect it to the stock air box. So when it rains I'll just disconnect my pipe I connected to the stock air box. Therefor it will be stock. Plus you don't have to look at a stupid hose up the side of your jeep.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What?!?

What do you mean "they don't really work"? You mean like if I run a snorkel in the rain I'm going to hydrolock my engine? That would a total surprise to the thousands of rigs running ARB and Volant snorkels this very moment.

Anyway, for the OP:

Forget about the cold air intake. The current air filter is the best setup you can get - if you go screwing around with cone or other type of "cold" air filters all you're gonna do is get more grit into your engine. Any performance gain you will get will be limited to the top of the RPM range - unless you're doing 0-60 sprints on the local quarter mile, forget it. The expense will be so not worth the returns.

As for the snorkel, it's really only good if you're gonna ford. There's no real performance gain or anything.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
I'm going to run a pipe to that vent near the windshield and connect it to the stock air box. So when it rains I'll just disconnect my pipe I connected to the stock air box. Therefor it will be stock. Plus you don't have to look at a stupid hose up the side of your jeep.
Search for cowl intake. There are many of us who run it. Mine is done with a Windstar box. Others are done with Buick boxes. And there is the Spectre setup that is commercially available (for too high a price). I think I've had mine on for about two years and water from rain getting sucked into engine with this setup is not something I worry about in the slightest. If I were to get into water deep enough to flood the cowl then I have a problem, but rain? Nope.
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The stock TJ air box is a good design. Air comes in well below the filter. If water where to come it will be heavier than the air and will settle to the bottom of the box, and drain. The filter will stay dry. Of course if enough water gets in it will fill the box faster than it can drain and you could have a problem. I did recover a guy who engine stalled during a water crossing. The filter was completely soaked and not letting in any more air. The engine was starved of air and died. No water passed through the filter. We got a dry filter and off we went. I have had mud and debris in the bottom of my filter box and not a speck of dirt on my filter.

I would think that if the snorkel could use the regular air box or one similar in design rain would not be a problem.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Abr tells you that heavy rain could get into it. The problem isn't hydrolocking it probably wouldn't happen. The main problem is water getting into the motor and causing things to rust.
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
Abr tells you that heavy rain could get into it. The problem isn't hydrolocking it probably wouldn't happen. The main problem is water getting into the motor and causing things to rust.
You realize that an old school way to clean carbon deposits out of an engine is to trickle water directly into the intake?
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #12
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bull! I have been running a River Raider Snorkel System for about 4 years and no one gets as much or as nasty sidewards rain as we get down in Florida! I have never seen one drop of water in my air box!

Or even after this!
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
Loamy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Safari pre-cleaner on the cowl: problem solved... no rain, no tube on the side to brush against a tree...
img_0701.jpg  
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
A-Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loamy
Safari pre-cleaner on the cowl: problem solved... no rain, no tube on the side to brush against a tree...
Is that custom or a product you bought
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Loamy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a JK, you're in luck because River Raider makes a kit:

http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...product_id=149

If you have something else, find an airbox and tubing and just run the air intake to your precleaner (on the TJ you can poke a hole in the firewall and run the tubing under the cowel panel which covers the wiper motors). Search threads for cowl snorkel. There's a couple for TJs and a couple for XJs that I've seen and they're all pretty straight forward.

Quadratec or 4WD will sell you the precleaner:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17100_103.htm

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.