Smittybilt X20 Winches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Smittybilt X20 Winches

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
santeria1347
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Smittybilt X20 Winches

I'm in the market for a winch and I saw Smittybilt has come out with waterproof winches. Is it worth the extra $200.

santeria1347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
rdtj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i would pay the extra 200 for it but thats just me. I like that they market it as a waterproof winch and not just water resistant. That way there cant be any questions if you call in the warranty.
rdtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have had my smitty winch for over a year and just got a brand new one in the mail due to some warranty work. I took the entire winch apart via smittybuilt guidance and their was absolutely no water in the whinch and I go mudding all the time and didn't have no cover or nothing on it. The only thing that rust was 1 nut that held wire B on the left side of the winch. So my advice unless you are fording water over your bumper daily for extended periods I wouldn't waste the 200.00 on it buy a 20.00cover if you really want. The problem with my winch was not water FYI and smittybuilt has awesome customer service ask for RAY.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
I took the entire winch apart via smittybuilt guidance and their was absolutely no water in the whinch and I go mudding all the time and didn't have no cover or nothing on it.
Gotta love the southern talk.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Gotta love the southern talk.
We need a smiley for "low jab"
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
santeria1347
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any other opinions?
santeria1347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im thinkin its worth the xtra cash just for the fact that if your stuck in a mudhole and your winch is under water then you KNOW it will work. That and they have great customer service. It'll be the winch that I buy.
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

just got my X2O says on the box it has 17 seals and can be submersed over 1 meter
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats the same one I got. When you mount it watch were the wires come out of the selenoid as they want to run really close to the grill. But I had to use a raised winch plate too. But just keep that in mind.
Unread 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

finally found my good camera to take afew pics of winch installed and box

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 11-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You cant really see it under the cover though....I'll get a better pic later.
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

How do you guys like this winch after having it for a little while? I was thinking about getting the X20 8. I wanted a Warn, but the funds aren't there right now.
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So whats the take on the Smittybilt X2O-10 Comp Series Winch? I have been banging this one and the Seal 9.5 RSi made by comeup/superwinch. Odviously the big draw back on the later is where it is made. Not real sure about where the Smittybilt is actually made.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
GeoMiller3
2000 XJ Cherokee 

WARNING: Smittybilt X2O is 100% Garbage & Warranty

This X2O is complete GARBAGE! I bolted it up and began winding in the Synthetic Rope and the Solenoid would not shut off. I pulled off the remote and it kept going. So I hurry and opened the hood and ripped off the power wire. It seemed to be a glitch and I went out that weekend and got stuck on purpose to try the winch. Again the winch stuck on and could not be stopped short of ripping out the power wire. Stranded 50 miles out in the woods, I had to figure out something. So I stood in the water and kept touching the power cable to the terminal to get the winch to pull me out of only 2 feet of water and then the Synthetic rope broke with light to moderate pulling and still didn't get me out. So the Solenoid is bad, the rope broke and extreme danger in use (Standing in Water & Breaking Parts). I paid $300 for a recovery unit to come and get me.

Upon my return home, I called Smittybilt in California and they were cocky, arrogant and NOT customer friendly. They said we DO NOT REPLACE ROPE FOR FAILURE and then tried to beat the warranty by asking how long I have owned the unit (less than a month) and then asked if I was pulling more than the 10,000lbs and I said No, my Cherokee. The representative did everything he could NOT to have to honor their warranty. I was expecting an apology and amazing customer support and got the complete opposite! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT AS THERE IS MUCH BETTER FOR THE SAME MONEY! Oh yeah...then I read that it is built in China and then it all made sense! Buy USA Built and not ****tybilt!
GeoMiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
recovery , smittybilt , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.