Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer 9000 series - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer 9000 series

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer 9000 series

OK ya'll I am needing to pick your brains, (this is before I have 'em, they are in the mail and just getting a game plan)

I have a single stabilizer and wanting to install Skyjacker 9000 series duals but the pic on Skyjacker's install page and my steering setup doesn't match. I can't figure out where to install the second stabilizer. Any pionters?

No Roads, No Problem
injunblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely don't install a dual stabilizer kit. First, your TJ doesn't need dual stabilzers to cope with even your 36" tires. Second, dual stabilizers just make the power steering pump and system work a LOT harder. That can be the difference in your power steering fluid overheating and possibly even boiling over on a hot day on a tight/twisty trail or not overheating and boiling over. Not to mention the hotter the power steering gets, the less well it performs.

A single good quality aftermarket steering stabilizer like from OME, Rancho, etc. is all your TJ needs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well since it's already bought and in the mail along with the new M95 shocks, it's going on when it get here. More for looks since it's a show vehicle. Now does anybody have any other pointers?
No Roads, No Problem
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well after a second look I guess they mount from a central bracket and branch off both directions. We shall see I guess.

Does anyone have any pics of a dual stabilizer setup?
No Roads, No Problem
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Its 2 separate stabilizers. Installed and works great. I can already feel a huge difference in the handling.
No Roads, No Problem
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic

No Roads, No Problem
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
SkylarM
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like bad news.
SkylarM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Even on somewhat mild trails I can see that getting bet up, but if it is a show vehicle and you think it looks good go for it. Its your jeep.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I don't figure its gonna see too many rough trails anytime soon. Used to but got tired of replacing axle gears. But actually since I put em on it has never been better. Doesn't road walk anymore and don't need to take a nap when I get home from town. I do have plans to fab another mounting bracket for the left side of the bottom stabilizer.
No Roads, No Problem
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunblood View Post
I don't figure its gonna see too many rough trails anytime soon. Used to but got tired of replacing axle gears. But actually since I put em on it has never been better. Doesn't road walk anymore and don't need to take a nap when I get home from town. I do have plans to fab another mounting bracket for the left side of the bottom stabilizer.
If you are having problems like that you have other worn components that need to be replaced. Adding extra stabilizers may cover it up but the problems are still there and will only get worse.

Unread 05-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
injunblood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry but everything is tight. nothing worn out. 36x15.5MT baja claws probably has something to do with it.
No Roads, No Problem
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have run 35" MTRs and have a friend running 37 pitbull rockers with no issues. I have never seen anybody need dual stabilizers if thing were in good shape but if you want it go for it.

Unread 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
SkylarM
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Especially with stock tie rod I'm surprised you haven't had issues.... But I guess like you said, if it's a mall crawler it doesn't even matter.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarM View Post
That looks like bad news.
It is. It's usually kids who install double, triple, and quadruple shocks wherever they can because they think it looks cool.

The only thing dual steering stabilzers is good for is to encourage the power steering pump to overheat because it has to work harder. The hotter it gets, the more likely the PS fluid is to overheat and sometimes even boil over. Not to mention it decreases the PS steering system's ability to turn the big tires on a hot day when offroad.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
SkylarM
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It is. It's usually kids who install double, triple, and quadruple shocks wherever they can because they think it looks cool.

The only thing dual steering stabilzers is good for is to encourage the power steering pump to overheat because it has to work harder. The hotter it gets, the more likely the PS fluid is to overheat and sometimes even boil over. Not to mention it decreases the PS steering system's ability to turn the big tires on a hot day when offroad.
I'm half the age of most people I wheel with and I wouldn't want that setup on my rig. On the plus side, the lower stabalizer might prevent a bent tie rod

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.