Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Skid plate under tranny

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jeepinhokie 
#1 ·
so i recently pulled my stock exhaust off and to do so required me to drop the skid plate but now i can't get it back on.

i had to drive to work without it and now i'm having a wicked tough time shifting gears. so is the plate supposed to be holding up the tranny?

#6 ·
jeepinhokie said:
:thumbdown:

Yeah,,, that holds up the entire back end of the transmission and transfer case.

DO NOT DRIVE WITHOUT IT:nono:
What he said.
You now have a couple hundred extra pounds being supported by the two engine mounts.
You are stressing stuff in ways it was never designed to and asides from the different driveshaft angle the transmission is probably operating with a slight downward pull to it so everything is flexing and twisting inside while operating.

#8 ·
oh ****. glad work isn't more than 15min away. still not good.

as for it not going back on. idk, i couldn't get the outer bolts on and only one would contact back to the frame but even that one wouldn't go in straight.
think that maybe the downward pressure is pushing it away? do ya think i need to try and jack the plate up under the tranny

#10 ·
Imped said:
You've gotta be ****ing kidding me.

COMMON SENSE. PLEASE USE IT.
True it is common sense. One could ASSume that everyone knows this.
Well sir, I appreciate your input and help on this matter. Not to mention the confidence booster in there. Perhaps if I had the money an trusted mechanic I could hav had someone else do it Or perhaps just the guidance thru it. Then again with it being "common sense" I could hav pulled any joe off the street for their advice in the matter.

COMMON COURTESY. PLEASE LEARN IT.

#14 ·
COMMON COURTESY. PLEASE LEARN IT.
I think it's obvious we're both lacking in certain qualities. At least I can admit it. ;)
I've been a Jeep owner for just over a week and even I knew about this. Of course I'm a little OCD when it comes to researching stuff before turning wrenches.

I wish you the best of luck.
Nuff said.
Translated.

Using a floor jack, support and raise the transmission. Install the skid. Lower the transmission back down on the skid. Install the four center bolts on the transmission mount.
That's exactly what I would've said if I didn't find this whole situation so ridiculous/comical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.