Short arm/Mid Arm/Long arm how to tell? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Short arm/Mid Arm/Long arm how to tell?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Short arm/Mid Arm/Long arm how to tell?

So this a really n00b question but how do you tell the difference? im getting more serious with my jeep and am planning an axle swap soon and i want to do a new suspension set up and not have to buy one. I was leaning towards a double triangulated 4 link rear. I know imped has mid arms, b2carpen has long arms and im sure plenty of people with shorts just none come to mind. Whats the easiest way to tell difference and any good links to info on the subject?

USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to build your own suspension stop worrying about labels. Get a 4 link calculator and play around with it. Figure out what lengths work for your build and goals. Don't worry about what it gets called.
Unread 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wasnt planning on it but im just wandering what determined the difference
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about labels. The only reason I even call mine 'mid arms' is because they're longer than stock arms but I've deliberately kept the mounts tucked as close as I can effectively get them to the tires for clearance. Don't worry about the labels AT ALL. If you want the arms as long as you can possibly get them, set the mounts up right next to the t-case skid. If you realize that that's just hurting your clearance and gaining you nothing, then input clearance concerns into your equation.

Just FYI, I've got my rear mounts pushed back as far as they can go on the frame before the wheel well arch starts and with the axle where it is, my lowers are 23" eye to eye. I made the front arms the same length and those mounts are positioned right below the front-most side body mounts. The reason I didn't mount them any further forward was because the upper link mount placement and attaining the vertical separation that I want would've been made very difficult. So, you can say that on both ends, the arms are as short as I can get them given my constraints. High clearance, great geometry, and full utilization of 12" travel shocks split 50/50 is what I was after and that's what I'll get.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice! Im still learning all the suspension stuff and just messin with the link calc. If i get the money stored away this summer il start my 8.8/4 link build. Im tryin to learn as much as possible about it
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!

Tags
3 link , 4 link , long arm , mid arm , short arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.