Shocks question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Shocks question?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
baked

Shocks question?

Alright, I have a 4" rough country lift on a 08 jk and as everyone knows the shocks ride SUPER stiff and I'm tired of bouncing around! So I'm considering buying a set of factory performance fox shox, now is it as simple as replacing the rough country shocks with the fox shox? Or is it more technical than that?

baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good shocks like Bilstein will help the ride a bunch, However Better springs will help a lot also !
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
baked

Thanks! But theres no complications with switching out shocks with a different brand than the lift? Hence rough country lift with fox/bilstien shocks? All you do is take the old shocks out and put the new ones in?
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can run any shock of your choosing with the RC lift. X2 on the Bilsteins
Unread 05-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
RogueFab

X3 for bilstein. Although fox is also high on my list. They should bolt right in as long as the travel and collapsed length is the same as your current equipment. Call product support if they don't have that info easily available.
RogueFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFab
X3 for bilstein. Although fox is also high on my list. They should bolt right in as long as the travel and collapsed length is the same as your current equipment. Call product support if they don't have that info easily available.
I hear fox shox ride really well especially with correct valving. If your willing to spend the time and money I would say the fix due to the customizability but if you want good shocks right out the box, bilstein 5100's or rancho 9000xl's are fully adjustable and ride great I heard and they're priced reasonably.

Good Luck
Nick
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed a set of Rancho 9000's and love them. They are adjustable. On 1 they aresuper soft, I have them on 3 right now and still have a great ride. I looked into bilsteins and heard they give more of a hard ride. Not what I wanted.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
baked

The guys at the 4x4 shop said to go with the ranchos too because they are adjustable and everything so I can set it how I'd like
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baked
The guys at the 4x4 shop said to go with the ranchos too because they are adjustable and everything so I can set it how I'd like
Yep. I told you can't go wrong with the ranchos. They're great shocks, and reasonably priced too.

And yes bilsteins are a bit stiffer
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fox shocks are great but if your rough country springs are still rough (I know the Yj sets are lower than garbage) then your springs are just going to fight your shocks and then you're back at square one.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Fox shocks are great but if your rough country springs are still rough (I know the Yj sets are lower than garbage) then your springs are just going to fight your shocks and then you're back at square one.
Agree. OP should get currie/aev springs. They ride great with rancho 9000's

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.