Shocker XL train horn + VIAIR Ultra Duty OBO adaptability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Shocker XL train horn + VIAIR Ultra Duty OBO adaptability

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Shocker XL train horn + VIAIR Ultra Duty OBO adaptability

Can a Shocker XL train horn run off of a VIAIR Ultra Duty OBA? I assume a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer would be necessary. The OBA end would be male but does the XL need a male or female connection? Has anyone ever done this sort of setup? How many air outputs does the OBA have? And how big is a 2.5 gal tank on a jeep and where do you mount it? Thanks guys.
http://viaircorp.com/OffRoad/20001.html
http://www.hornblasters.com/products...r-4-train-horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
muddy8jeep8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

BUMP.. Just ordered my VIAIR HD kit and would like to run a train horn also.
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i made my own setup, more like the constant duty kit. it worked great to power a set of grover air horns off a big rig.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. Looking for instructions and answers. Thanks

Quote:
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So I e-mailed Hornblasters and they said that I would have to exchange the pressure switch for a 105-150 model. Well I'm not interested in maxing out a 200psi OBA system at 150psi, so I researched. I came across this thread with a similar situation for lockers. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/vi...ockers-421632/ That gave me the idea to use a regulator. I found this type, which you custom order for your needs. http://www.zorotools.com/g/00064576/..._Shopping_Feed. It maxes at 250psi but can be adjusted to limit at 150psi. So if I put this in line after a 1/4" to 1/2" fitting, I should be guaranteed that the pressure to the horns will stay at 150psi, correct?

Quote:
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

correct until the supply pressure drops below 150. but be warned, the regulator will also limit the volume of AIrflow as well and decrease the sound of the horns. the Shocker XL uses a 1/2" Main feeder with 1/4" lines to each bell of the horn. the OBA setup only has 1/4" ports so it will be a choke point in the system.

I have a similar kit on my truck. Viair 380C compressor, 5 gallon tank, and the Shocker XL. I have been running the full 200 PSI through my horn for the post 2 years without issue. every now and then with such a high pressure i do get s slight high pitch squeak from the horns before the well known deep Honk sound but it is rare. and on only a 2.5 gallon tank you will blow through that amount of air in no time with the Shocker. a few short blast will easily drop you down in air pressure considerably.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know the regulator will slow the air bit that's why I would put it on the 1/2" line instead of the 1/4". I would also get the highest flow I could find, which is about 100cfm. I don't know how good that is. I would get a bigger tank but there's no where to put one on a jeep. Thats why I want the Ultra Duty OBA. Larger compressor means faster fill. But I'm still not sure what kind of performance I'd get out of it. I was only going to run @ 150psi because the representative said any higher will cause damage and void the warranty.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.