Self Rescue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Self Rescue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
timvv50
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Self Rescue

Say your cruising along in soft sand at 4 or 5 miles an hour and stop to look round and when you try to take off you spin your wheels and dig in a little. Your not stuck bad and don't want to flog your rig to get out and you don't want to go forward. You want to winch your rig backwards. Is there a good method to run the cable underneath the rig and winch yourself backward a few feet and not scratch your front bumper? I have some screw type anchors about 3 feet long that screw into the ground and two of them together have great purchase to hook to. I have thought about just using a piece of wood 4x4 to pad between the cable and bumper so you don't rub a groove in your bumper with the cable. Any ideas.

timvv50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The hooks you are talking about are called ground anchors I believe.

Id say a piece of wood would be the cheapest bet though. (although winching underneath might damage something else; Im not sure though).
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A quick search and I found this. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tI3Ht...%3D_4tI3HtgdCY
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That video does cover it but you will need 3 snatch block pulleys to do it. It does work though.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
timvv50
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad I asked, Youtube is a wealth of information sometimes. I think my best bet is just to keep on being the cautious old guy that I sometimes am and not get stuck. One interesting point was the fact that you don't get the full pulling power of the winch till you get most of the line off the reel.
timvv50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timvv50 View Post
Glad I asked, Youtube is a wealth of information sometimes. I think my best bet is just to keep on being the cautious old guy that I sometimes am and not get stuck. One interesting point was the fact that you don't get the full pulling power of the winch till you get most of the line off the reel.
A good background in recovery can be had by reading every word of the following:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Let some air out of the tires.

Another trick for sand is Water. You have to have a source, like at a beach, or bring it with you. As long as it's not buried to the axles, sometimes a little water around the tire will gain you just enough traction to get you going again.

I have used this method many times driving concrete mixers on sandy jobsites. Never tried it in my Jeep though.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For sand, a couple of pieces of carpet is the trick. If I lived around sand, I'd have two strips in my trunk at all times. I've used little pieces, even the floor mats will work in an emergency, but carry 18" by 4'.
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
For sand, a couple of pieces of carpet is the trick. If I lived around sand, I'd have two strips in my trunk at all times. I've used little pieces, even the floor mats will work in an emergency, but carry 18" by 4'.
This. Or if you want to get fancy and spend a little money check out Maxtrax. They might look cool strapped to the roof of your jeep also.
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

A good background in recovery can be had by reading every word of the following:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
Great link, people using snatch blocks should pay special attention to the part where it talks about, sheave size, D/d ratios and how the angle of the pull reduces the WLL of the rope. People erroneously assume that a snatch block will double their pulling power but don't realize it actually lowers the safe working load limit of your equipment. Also note the higher abrasion resistance a rope has the larger diameter the snatch block must be.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Saw a guy once run a line under his rig. Lol. Wasn't pretty. Fuel tank crumbled, rear end bent tube, and developed brake leak. I bought 2 winches. I know money. I use trailer hitch front and rear. The winch us heavy but its safer.
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

That's an interesting video. I have never had to do that kind of self recovery and honestly would have made the mistake of not using a snatch and going back to the third tree. I almost always wheel in groups but I think I am going to pick up a couple more snatches.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
fast540
1999 WJ 

Just run the cable over the top with a towel under it :-)
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Lmao.
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
Just run the cable over the top with a towel under it :-)
Been there, done that. Flipped the jeep right over.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.