Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

seafoam in jeep

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  holliewood61 
#1 ·
So i pulled my jeep out of the weeds and its been sitting up for about 5 years without being used at all, i changed all my fluids and added fresh gas to it and a bottle of seafoam ( it had about 2 gallons of gas in it when it was parked). I know that seafood makes your vehicle smoke but how long is it supposed to smoke? I cranked up my jeep and ran it for about 30 minutes and it was still smoking a good bit.

#2 ·
I have never used seafood in my jeep so I couldn't tell you...

How much did you add? When I have added it to the gas tank it never really smoked that bad.

What color is the smoke?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
If I were you, I would drive it a bit and top it off with gas and see if the smoke dies down. If it got mixed well, it will smoke the whole tank since it is mixed with the gas

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Its supposed to smoke. But, I have to say that years ago I used it in a Toyota FJ55 and "coincidentally" I blew a head gasket while running it through. I really don't know if the two were connected but the Toyota guy said the increased upper cylinder temp from the Seafoam caused it. Just take it easy and don't try to "rev" it outta there.

#9 ·
Ive never used sea foam in the gas tank. Ive used it by putting a vacuum hose into the can and letting it suck into the intake. It smoked like all hell for s good while. Ive since replaced sea foam all together with pouring small amounts of atf down the carb or throttle body while the vehicle is running. It will smoke like crazy as well. After several comparisons with the bore scope the atf seems to work better.

#11 ·
I've never used Seafoam in the gas tank. I've used it by putting a vacuum hose into the can and letting it suck into the intake. It smoked like all hell for a good while. I've since replaced Seafoam all together with pouring small amounts of ATF down the carburetor or throttle body while the vehicle is running. It will smoke like crazy as well. After several comparisons with the bore scope the ATF seems to work better.
Will ATF leave a residual ash after being burned?
Some oils like TC-3 two-cycle motor oils are meant to be burned, and leave no ash residue.
Just curious .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.